Main Article Content
Prevalence of Dengue virus; Carica papaya leaves suspension; IgG/IgM; NS1; FDA; GRAS; WHO; Experimental study
This study aimed to determine the prevalence of local dengue viral strains circulating in New Darband and isolate the thrombocytopenia-associated dengue strain. Platelet volume screening was conducted on dengue-infected patients before and after consumption of Carica papaya leaves suspension. Among 3733 positive patients, 23.5% females tested positive for IgG, IgM, 17.5% for IgG/NS1, and 40.6% for IgM/NS1. In males, 29% tested positive for IgG, IgM, 11.5% for IgG/NS1, and IgM/NS1 22.2% and 27.5% for NS1. Age groups analyzed included 18-30 years, 30-40 years, 40-50 years, and 50-60 years. The administration of Carica papaya leaves suspension resulted in a significant increase in platelet count in dengue-infected patients, with no adverse effects observed during the study. This indicates the potential of Carica papaya in protecting and regulating platelets against dengue virus complications. Additionally, the study suggested that NS1 is a reliable seromarker for accurately detecting dengue infection with thrombocytopenia. Carica papaya leaves suspension shows promise as a suitable remedy for increasing platelet count in dengue-infected patients. However, further high-quality evidence from large clinical trials is necessary to determine its applicability.
2. Ahmad A, Baig AA, Hussain M, Saeed MU, Bilal M, Ahmed N, Chopra H, Hassan M, Rachamalla M. Putnala SK (2022). Narrative on Hydrogen Therapy and its Clinical Applications: Safety and Efficacy. Current Pharmaceutical Design 28(31) 2519-2537.
3. Ahmed N, Karobari MI, Yousaf A, Mohamed RN, Arshad S, Basheer SN, Peeran SW, Noorani TY, Assiry AA. Alharbi AS (2022). The Antimicrobial Efficacy Against Selective Oral Microbes, Antioxidant Activity and Preliminary Phytochemical Screening of Zingiber officinale. Infection and Drug Resistance 15 2773.
4. Bok ZK, Balakrishnan M, Jong YX, Kong YR, Khaw KY. Ong YS (2020). The plausible mechanisms of action of Carica papaya on dengue infection: A comprehensive review. Progress in Drug Discovery & Biomedical Science 3(1).
5. Bukhari B, Naveed M, Makhdoom SI, Jabeen K, Asif MF, Batool H, Ahmed N. Chan YY (2021). A comparison between organic and inorganic nanoparticles: Prime nanoparticles for tumor curation. Nano 16(13) 2130011.
6. Chandrasekaran R, Seetharaman P, Krishnan M, Gnanasekar S. Sivaperumal S (2018). Carica papaya (Papaya) latex: a new paradigm to combat against dengue and filariasis vectors Aedes aegypti and Culex quinquefasciatus (Diptera: Culicidae). 3 Biotech 8 1-10.
7. Dwivedi MK, Sonter S, Mishra S, Patel DK. Singh PK (2020). Antioxidant, antibacterial activity, and phytochemical characterization of Carica papaya flowers. Beni-Suef University Journal of Basic and Applied Sciences 9 1-11.
8. Hasham K, Ahmed N. Zeshan B (2020). Circulating microRNAs in oncogenic viral infections: Potential diagnostic biomarkers. SN Applied Sciences 2(3) 1-13.
9. Khan J, Adil M, Wang G, Tsheten T, Zhang D, Pan W, Khan MA, Rehman Iu, Zheng X. Wu Z (2022). A cross-sectional study to assess the epidemiological situation and associated risk factors of dengue fever; knowledge, attitudes, and practices about dengue prevention in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Province, Pakistan. Frontiers in Public Health 10 923277.
10. Khan NU, Danish L, Khan HU, Shah M, Ismail M, Ali I, Petruzziello A, Sabatino R, Guzzo A. Botti G (2020). Prevalence of dengue virus serotypes in the 2017 outbreak in Peshawar, KP, Pakistan. Journal of Clinical Laboratory Analysis 34(9) e23371.
11. Koul B, Pudhuvai B, Sharma C, Kumar A, Sharma V, Yadav D. Jin J-O (2022). Carica papaya L.: a tropical fruit with benefits beyond the tropics. Diversity 14(8) 683.
12. Mohd Abd Razak MR, Mohmad Misnan N, Md Jelas NH, Norahmad NA, Muhammad A, Ho TCD, Jusoh B, Sastu UR, Zainol M. Wasiman MI (2018). The effect of freeze-dried Carica papaya leaf juice treatment on NS1 and viremia levels in dengue fever mice model. BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine 18 1-13.
13. Mohd Abd Razak MR, Norahmad NA, Md Jelas NH, Afzan A, Mohmad Misnan N, Mat Ripen A, Thayan R, Zainol M. Syed Mohamed AF (2021). Immunomodulatory activities of Carica papaya L. leaf juice in a non-lethal, symptomatic dengue mouse model. Pathogens 10(5) 501.
14. Mohd Abd Razak MR, Norahmad NA, Md Jelas NH, Jusoh B, Muhammad A, Mohmad Misnan N, Zainol M, Thayan R. Syed Mohamed AF (2019). Preliminary study on the expression of endothelial cell biology related genes in the liver of dengue virus infected mice treated with Carica papaya leaf juice. BMC research notes 12 1-6.
15. Mubbashir H, Munir S, Kashif R, Nawaz HB, Abdul B. Baharullah K (2018). Characterization of dengue virus in Aedes aegypti and Aedes albopictus spp. of mosquitoes: A study in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Pakistan. Molecular Biology Research Communications 7(2) 77.
16. Mukhtar MU, Mukhtar M, Iqbal N, Nawaz Z, Bhatti A, Haq F, Arslan A. Rashid M (2021). The
emergence of Dengue Fever in Sheikhupura, Pakistan: its seroprevalence and risk factors assessment during 2014-2017. The Journal of Infection in Developing Countries 15(09) 1351-1355.
17. Mwanyika GO, Mboera LE, Rugarabamu S, Ngingo B, Sindato C, Lutwama JJ, Paweska JT. Misinzo G (2021). Dengue virus infection and associated risk factors in Africa: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Viruses 13(4) 536.
18. Nor AN, Mohd R, Norazlan MM, Nur H, Umi RS, Amirrudin M, Ho C, Bazilah J, Nor AZ. Ravindran T (2019). Effect of freeze-dried Carica papaya leaf juice on inflammatory cytokines production during dengue virus infection in AG129 mice. BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine 19(44).
19. Patil P, Alagarasu K, Chowdhury D, Kakade M, Cherian S, Kaushik S, Yadav J. Parashar D (2022). In-vitro antiviral activity of Carica papaya formulations against dengue virus type 2 and chikungunya virus. Heliyon 8(12) e11879.
20. Rabaan AA, Bakhrebah MA, Nassar MS, Natto ZS, Al Mutair A, Alhumaid S, Aljeldah M, Garout M, Alfouzan WA. Alshahrani FS (2022). Suspected adenovirus causing an emerging hepatitis among children below 10 years: a review. Pathogens 11(7) 712.
21. Rabaan AA, Mutair AA, Alhumaid S, Garout M, Alsubki RA, Alshahrani FS, Alfouzan WA, Alestad JH, Alsaleh AE. Al-Mozaini MA (2022). Updates on Measles Incidence and Eradication: Emphasis on the Immunological Aspects of Measles Infection. Medicina 58(5) 680.
22. Ramzan M, Karobari MI, Heboyan A, Mohamed RN, Mustafa M, Basheer SN, Desai V, Batool S, Ahmed N. Zeshan B (2022). Synthesis of silver nanoparticles from extracts of wild ginger (Zingiber zerumbet) with antibacterial activity against selective multidrug resistant oral bacteria. Molecules 27(6) 2007.
23. Raza FA, Ashraf S, Hasnain S, Ahmad J. Iqbal M (2018). Dengue seroprevalence and its socioeconomic determinants in Faisalabad, Pakistan: A cross-sectional study. Revista da Sociedade Brasileira de Medicina Tropical 51 503-507.
24. Sarker MMR, Khan F. Mohamed IN (2021). Dengue fever: therapeutic potential of Carica papaya L. Leaves. Frontiers in pharmacology 12 610912.
25. Sathyapalan DT, Padmanabhan A, Moni M, P-Prabhu B, Prasanna P, Balachandran S, Trikkur SP, Jose S, Edathadathil F. Anilkumar JO (2020). Efficacy & safety of Carica papaya leaf extract (CPLE) in severe thrombocytopenia (≤ 30,000/μl) in adult dengue–Results of a pilot study. PLoS One 15(2) e0228699.
26. Shabbir W, Pilz J. Naeem A (2020). A spatial-temporal study for the spread of dengue depending on climate factors in Pakistan (2006–2017). BMC Public Health 20(1) 1-10.
27. Sharma N, Mishra KP, Chanda S, Bhardwaj V, Tanwar H, Ganju L, Kumar B. Singh SB (2019). Evaluation of anti-dengue activity of Carica papaya aqueous leaf extract and its role in platelet augmentation. Archives of virology 164 1095-1110.
28. Shrivastava N, Alagarasu K, Cherian S. Parashar D (2022). Antiviral & platelet-protective properties of Carica papaya in dengue. Indian Journal of Medical Research 156(3) 459-463.
29. Solanki SG. Trivedi P (2020). Evaluation of the efficacy of Carica papaya leaf extract on platelet counts in dengue patients. Journal of Advanced Scientific Research 11(Suppl 04) 62-65.
30. Subenthiran S, Choon TC, Cheong KC, Thayan R, Teck MB, Muniandy PK, Afzan A, Abdullah NR. Ismail Z (2013). Carica papaya leaves juice significantly accelerates the rate of increase in platelet count among patients with dengue fever and dengue haemorrhagic fever. Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine 2013.
31. Tariq F, Ahmed N, Afzal M, Khan MAU. Zeshan B (2020). Synthesis, Characterization and antimicrobial activity of Bacillus subtilis-derived silver nanoparticles against multidrug-resistant bacteria. Jundishapur Journal of Microbiology 13(5).
32. Teh BP, Ahmad NB, Mohamad SB, Tan TYC, Mohd Abd Razak MRB, Afzan AB. Syed Mohamed AFB (2022). Carica papaya Leaf Juice for Dengue: A Scoping Review. Nutrients 14(8) 1584.
33. Wadekar AB, Nimbalwar MG, Panchale WA, Gudalwar BR, Manwar JV. Bakal RL (2021). Morphology, phytochemistry and pharmacological aspects of Carica papaya, an review. GSC Biological and Pharmaceutical Sciences 14(3) 234-248.