Main Article Content
health education, KAP study, tertiary care hospitals, hand hygiene.
Occupation Health and Safety in the modern world has become a critical issue because of its hazards. It has occupied a critical place in a hospital because it is not general realized that unawareness about health and safety can pose biological hazards which in extreme case could act as self-inflicted catastrophe. Employers have legal responsibility to provide a safe work place and system of work, to consult with employees and to keep them informed about health and safety matters. The present study was aimed to critically analyze the occupational health and safety in a tertiary care hospital in Lahore. It was an attempt to study all the issues and point out the weaknesses for the further improvement of OHS in the Hospital. Results showed that there is a proper occupational health and safety management system in the hospital and approximately all the hospital staff members are well known about the OHS. Some of the answers represent 60-70% results in favor of OHS because of new employees. While conducting this study different suggestions were given for the further improvement of OHS in the hospital.
2. Almost, J.M., E.G. VanDenKerkhof, P. Strahlendorf, L. Caicco Tett, J. Noonan, T. Hayes, H. Van Hulle, R. Adam, J. Holden, and T. Kent-Hillis. 2018. A study of leading indicators for occupational health and safety management systems in healthcare. BMC health services research. 18:1-7.
3. Badida, P., S. Janakiraman, and J. Jayaprakash. 2023. Occupational health and safety risk assessment using a fuzzy multi-criteria approach in a hospital in Chennai, India. International journal of occupational safety and ergonomics. 29:1047-1056.
4. Bahcecik, N., and H. Ozturk. 2009. The occupational safety and health in hospitals from the point of nurses. Collegium antropologicum. 33:1205-1214.
5. Çalış Boyacı, A., and A. Selim. 2022. Assessment of occupational health and safety risks in a Turkish public hospital using a two-stage hesitant fuzzy linguistic approach. Environmental Science and Pollution Research. 29:36313-36325.
6. ÇOBAN, M., and T. ORTABAĞ. Evaluation of Occupational Health and Safety Practices by Hospital Staff.
7. Constantinidis, T., E. Vagka, P. Dallidou, P. Basta, V. Drakopoulos, S. Kakolyris, and E. Chatzaki. 2011. Occupational health and safety of personnel handling chemotherapeutic agents in Greek hospitals. European journal of cancer care. 20:123-131.
8. Cudjoe, S.F. 2011. An assessment of occupational health and safety practices on job performance at the Tetteh Quarshie Memorial Hospital, Mampong-Akuapem.
9. de Oliveira Neto, G.C., H.N.P. Tucci, M. Godinho Filho, W.C. Lucato, and J.M.F. Correia. 2021. Performance evaluation of occupational health and safety in relation to the COVID-19 fighting practices established by WHO: Survey in multinational industries. Safety Science. 141:105331.
10. Gul, M. 2018. A review of occupational health and safety risk assessment approaches based on multi-criteria decision-making methods and their fuzzy versions. Human and ecological risk assessment: an international journal. 24:1723-1760.
11. Gul, M., M.F. Ak, and A.F. Guneri. 2017. Occupational health and safety risk assessment in hospitals: A case study using two-stage fuzzy multi-criteria approach. Human and Ecological Risk Assessment: An International Journal. 23:187-202.
12. Habib, R.R., G. Blanche, F. Souha, F. El-Jardali, and I. Nuwayhid. 2016. Occupational health and safety in hospitals accreditation system: the case of Lebanon. International Journal of Occupational and Environmental Health. 22:201-208.
13. Joshi, V., E. Victor, E. Vasanth, S. Raghavan, and L. Gopichandran. 2016. Effect of in-service education workshop on occupational health and safety in terms of knowledge and awareness among nurses in a selected tertiary care hospital in India: An evaluation. J Nurs Pat Care. 1:2.
14. Moyo, D., M. Zungu, S. Kgalamono, and C.D. Mwila. 2015. Review of occupational health and safety organization in expanding economies: the case of Southern Africa. Annals of global health. 81:495-502.
15. Pasaribu, N.R., E. Girsang, S.L.R. Nasution, and C.N. Ginting. 2022. Evaluation Of Planning And Implementation Occupational Safety And Health In Hospital Embung Fatimah Batam In 2021. International Journal of Health and Pharmaceutical (IJHP). 2:225-232.
16. Ramos, D.G., P.M. Arezes, and P. Afonso. 2015. Economic evaluation of occupational safety preventive measures in a hospital.
17. Rizvi, A., N. Ahmed, A. Naeem, W. Saleem, M. Ilyas, and A. Ahmed. 2020. A cross sectional study to evaluate awareness about hepatitis A & E among students in lahore. Pakistan Journal of Public Health. 10:160-166.
18. Steel, J., L. Godderis, and J. Luyten. 2018a. Methodological challenges in the economic evaluation of occupational health and safety programmes. International journal of environmental research and public health. 15:2606.
19. Steel, J., L. Godderis, and J. Luyten. 2018b. Productivity estimation in economic evaluations of occupational health and safety interventions: a systematic review. Scandinavian journal of work, environment & health. 44:458-474.
20. Tashia, O.S., and J. Jamaluddin. 2023. Evaluation Of Occupational Health And Safety Management System At Haji Hospital Medan. Jurnal Perilaku Kesehatan Terpadu. 2:62-68.
21. Tompa, E., R. Dolinschi, and C. De Oliveira. 2006. Practice and potential of economic evaluation of workplace-based interventions for occupational health and safety. Journal of Occupational Rehabilitation. 16:367-392.
22. Tompa, E., R. Dolinschi, C. de Oliveira, and E. Irvin. 2009. A systematic review of occupational health and safety interventions with economic analyses. Journal of occupational and environmental medicine:1004-1023.