Main Article Content
Gastric adenocarcinoma; colorectal adenocarcinomas; Her2neu; IHC; age; site; TNM STAGE
One of the major causes of cancer-related mortality is gastrointestinal (GI) cancer. The outcomes of surgical resection of advanced cancer are still poor, despite the fact that it has improved the overall prognosis of patients with these malignancies. As a consequence, it is essential to look for predictors of disease survival and therapeutic response. The current study was conducted with the aims to study the clinicopathological parameters, to study HER2 /neu expression and to look out the association between the expression of HER2/neu and other clinicopathological parameters like age, gender, tumor location (whether gastric/gastro esophageal junction), histological pattern (Laurens classification), grade and stage of adenocarcinomas. A total of 100 cases of GI adenocarcinoma were studied for a period of 6 years (retrospective and prospective) in ESI PGIMSR, Bangalore. IHC analysis for HER2neu was performed and the association of immune expression markers were studied with clinicopathological and prognostic markers. Gastric Adenocarcinomas were seen mostly in the age group of 41-50yrs and more in male population and colorectal in the age group of 51-60yrs and in female population. Diffuse type in gastric adenocarcinomas and mucinous type in colorectal adenocarcinomas were the most common type in our study. Among Gastric adenocarcinomas, majority were poorly differentiated and in colorectal adenocarcinomas moderately differentiated are the most common type. There was direct correlation between the presenting symptoms among the gastric and colorectal adenocarcinomas (<0.04%). Overall, Her2neu positivity was found in 39.6% of gastric adenocarcinomas and 17.3% of colonic adenocarcinomas. In general, GI Adenocarcinomas showed stronger Her2neu positivity in comparison to colorectal carcinomas. Her2neu positivity correlated with the type of gastro-esophageal carcinomas (p<0.03%). The present study emphasizes the role of Her2 expression in Gastro intestinal adenocarcinomas in quantifying the subset of patients that could benefit from targeted therapy, thereby improving clinical outcome in these patients.
2. Ahmed N, Abusalah MAHA, Farzand A, Absar M, Yusof NY, Rabaan AA, AlSaihati H, Alshengeti A, Alwarthan S. Alsuwailem HS (2022). Updates on Epstein–Barr Virus (EBV)-Associated Nasopharyngeal Carcinoma: Emphasis on the Latent Gene Products of EBV. Medicina 59(1) 2.
3. Ahmed N, Ali Z, Riaz M, Zeshan B, Wattoo JI. Aslam MN (2020). Evaluation of antibiotic resistance and virulence genes among clinical isolates of Pseudomonas aeruginosa from cancer patients. Asian Pacific journal of cancer prevention: APJCP 21(5) 1333.
4. Al-Mhanna SB, Ghazali WSW, Mohamed M, Rabaan AA, Santali EY, Alestad JH, Santali EY, Arshad S, Ahmed N. Afolabi HA (2022). Effectiveness of physical activity on immunity markers and quality of life in cancer patient: a systematic review. PeerJ 10 e13664.
5. Bouvier A-M, Remontet L, Jougla E, Launoy G, Grosclaude P, Buémi A, Tretarre B, Velten M, Dancourt V. Menegoz F (2004). Incidence of gastrointestinal cancers in France. Gastroenterologie clinique et biologique 28(10) 877-881.
6. Bukhari B, Naveed M, Makhdoom SI, Jabeen K, Asif MF, Batool H, Ahmed N. Chan YY (2021). A comparison between organic and inorganic nanoparticles: Prime nanoparticles for tumor curation. Nano 16(13) 2130011.
7. De Carli DM, ROCHA MPd, Antunes LCM. Fagundes RB (2015). Immunohistochemical expression of HER2 in adenocarcinoma of the stomach. Arquivos de gastroenterologia 52 152-155.
8. Dhakras P, Uboha N, Horner V, Reinig E. Matkowskyj KA (2020). Gastrointestinal cancers: current biomarkers in esophageal and gastric adenocarcinoma. Translational Gastroenterology and Hepatology 5.
9. Gravalos C. Jimeno A (2008). HER2 in gastric cancer: a new prognostic factor and a novel therapeutic target. Annals of oncology 19(9) 1523-1529.
10. Gupta N, Gaddam S, Wani SB, Bansal A, Rastogi A. Sharma P (2012). Longer inspection time is associated with increased detection of high-grade dysplasia and esophageal adenocarcinoma in Barrett's esophagus. Gastrointestinal endoscopy 76(3) 531-538.
11. Hao M, Foong JPP, Bornstein JC, Li Z, Berghe PV. Boesmans W (2016). Enteric nervous system assembly: Functional integration within the developing gut. Developmental biology 417(2) 168-181.
12. Hofmann M, Stoss O, Shi D, Büttner R, Van De Vijver M, Kim W, Ochiai A, Rüschoff J. Henkel T (2008). Assessment of a HER2 scoring system for gastric cancer: results from a validation study. Histopathology 52(7) 797-805.
13. Hu Y, Bandla S, Godfrey TE, Tan D, Luketich JD, Pennathur A, Qiu X, Hicks DG, Peters JH. Zhou Z (2011). HER2 amplification, overexpression and score criteria in esophageal adenocarcinoma. Modern Pathology 24(7) 899-907.
14. Huisman TA. Kellenberger CJ (2008). MR imaging characteristics of the normal fetal gastrointestinal tract and abdomen. European journal of radiology 65(1) 170-181.
15. JACOBSON BC, CRAWFORD JM. FARRAYE FA (2009). GI tract endoscopic and tissue processing techniques and normal histology. Surgical pathology of the GI tract, liver, biliary tract, and pancreas, Elsevier. 3-30.
16. Jain P, Wadhwa N, Diwaker P, Joshi MK. Mishra K (2022). Alteration in key oncoprotein expression in gastric adenocarcinoma–An immunohistochemical study.
17. Kalyani R, Das S. Kumar M (2010). Spectrum of gastro-intestinal cancers--a ten-year study. Journal of the Indian Medical Association 108(10) 659-662.
18. Kong X-X, Li X-L, Tian Y, Ye Q-C, Xu X-M, Liu Y, Yang Q, Zhang L-N, Mei Y-X. Wen J-H (2021). The Clinicopathological Characteristics of Alpha-Fetoprotein-Producing Adenocarcinoma of the Gastrointestinal Tract—A Single-Center Retrospective Study. Frontiers in Oncology 11 635537.
19. Kountourakis P, Pavlakis K, Psyrri A, Rontogianni D, Xiros N, Patsouris E, Pectasides D. Economopoulos T (2006). Prognostic significance of HER3 and HER4 protein expression in colorectal adenocarcinomas. BMC cancer 6(1) 1-9.
20. Kumar V, Abbas A, Fausto N. Aster J (2010). Robbins and cotran pathologic basis of disease. 8th. Philadelphia: Ed. Saunders Elsevier 1-12.
21. Lin P, He R-q, Ma F-c, Liang L, He Y, Yang H, Dang Y-w. Chen G (2018). Systematic analysis of survival-associated alternative splicing signatures in gastrointestinal pan-adenocarcinomas. EBioMedicine 34 46-60.
22. Liu Y, Sethi NS, Hinoue T, Schneider BG, Cherniack AD, Sanchez-Vega F, Seoane JA, Farshidfar F, Bowlby R. Islam M (2018). Comparative molecular analysis of gastrointestinal adenocarcinomas. Cancer cell 33(4) 721-735. e728.
23. Madani S-H, Rahmati A, Sadeghi E, Khazaei S, Sadeghi M, Payandeh M. Amirifard N (2015). Survey of Her2-neu expression and its correlation with histology of gastric carcinoma and gastroesophageal junction adenocarcinoma. Asian Pacific Journal of Cancer Prevention 16(17) 7755-7758.
24. Mohd Salim NH, Mussa A, Ahmed N, Ahmad S, Yean Yean C, Hassan R, Uskoković V, Mohamud R. Che Jalil NA (2023). The Immunosuppressive Effect of TNFR2 Expression in the Colorectal Cancer Microenvironment. Biomedicines 11(1) 173.
25. Mussa A, Mohd Idris RA, Ahmed N, Ahmad S, Murtadha AH, Tengku Din TADAA, Yean CY, Wan Abdul Rahman WF, Mat Lazim N. Uskoković V (2022). High-dose vitamin C for cancer therapy. Pharmaceuticals 15(6) 711.
26. Ohmi A, Ohno K, Chambers JK, Uchida K, Nakagawa T, Tomiyasu H. Tsujimoto H (2021). Clinical and histopathological features and prognosis of gastrointestinal adenocarcinomas in Jack Russell Terriers. Journal of Veterinary Medical Science 83(2) 167-173.
27. PRABHA S, BANTUMILLI S. CHANDRASEKAR M (2022). Significance of HER2/neu Expression in Oesophageal Carcinomas and its Association with the Histopathological Grading. Journal of Clinical & Diagnostic Research 16(9).
28. Rajagopal I, Niveditha S, Sahadev R, Nagappa PK. Rajendra SG (2015). HER 2 expression in gastric and gastro-esophageal junction (GEJ) adenocarcinomas. Journal of clinical and diagnostic research: JCDR 9(3) EC06.
29. Rosai J (2011). Rosai and Ackerman's surgical pathology e-book: Elsevier Health Sciences.
30. Rosenbaum MW. Gonzalez RS (2021). Targeted therapy for upper gastrointestinal tract cancer: current and future prospects. Histopathology 78(1) 148-161.
31. Sayadnejad N, Firouzjahi A, Shafaee S, Golshahi H, Sokouti Z, Gholinia H. Ranaee M (2017). Immunohistochemical study of HER2/neu expression in colorectal cancer and its relation to other clinicopathological criteria and prognostic factors. International Journal of Cancer Management 10(5).
32. Schoppmann SF, Jesch B, Friedrich J, Wrba F, Schultheis A, Pluschnig U, Maresch J, Zacherl J, Hejna M. Birner P (2010). Expression of Her-2 in carcinomas of the esophagus. The American journal of surgical pathology 34(12) 1868-1873.