Main Article Content
Severe bronchial asthma, Body mass index, Obesity
Background and Aim: Obesity and asthma have become more common in the general population, particularly among women, all over the world. Numerous research has been carried out on association of asthma with body mass index in general. The present study aimed to assess the clinical association of body mass index with severe bronchial asthma in women.
Patients and Methods: This prospective study was conducted on 486 severe bronchial asthma women in the Department of Community Medicine, Lahore General Hospital, Lahore Pakistan from March 2022 to March 2023. All the women with an age range 18-50 years diagnosed of acute bronchial asthma were included. Based on BMI, subjects were divided into three categories: (i) Normal weight (<25 Kg/m2), (ii) Overweight (26-30 Kg/m2), and (iii) Obese (>30 Kg/m2). Respiratory symptoms, medication use, and healthcare utilization were different parameters of severity of asthma measured and recorded.
Results: The overall mean age of enrolled women was 42.14± 7.62 years. Of the total 486 women, the incidence of normal, overweight, and obese patients was 33.7% (n=164), 30.9% (n=150), and 35.4% (n=172) respectively. A significantly positive association is observed between asthma duration and BMI which indicates that chronic asthma women are more prone to gain weight. The incidence of mild, moderate, and severe asthma was 64.2% (312), 28% (n=136), and 7.8% (n=38) respectively.
Conclusion: The present study found that obesity is a risk factor for acquiring weight in asthmatic females. BMI rises with duration of asthma result in increased in asthma symptoms and severity. Patients with a high BMI are more likely to have co-morbid disorders.
2. Nazli R, Akhtar T, Lutfullah G, Khan MA, Lutfullah G, Haider J. Prevalence of obesity and associated risk factor in a female population of rural PeshawarPakistan. KMUJ. 2015;7(1):19-24.
3. Park BS, Park HI, Lee WC. The Correlation between obesity (body mass index), abdominal obesity and asthma in Korean adults through the 5th National Health and Nutrition Survey. Korean J Fam Pract 2017;7:941-4.
4. Lee HM, Oh HW, Yoon SP, Yoon YW, Jo CH. Relationship between obesity and prevalence of adult allergic disease: the Sixth Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (2013). Korean J Fam Pract 2016; 6:185-90.
5. Saheb Sharif-Askari N, Sharif HA, Saheb Sharif-Askari F, Hamid Q, Abusnana S, Hamoudi R (2019) Association between body mass index and asthma severity in Arab pediatric population: A retrospective study. PLoS ONE 14(12): e0226957. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0226957.
6. Abarca-Go´mez L, Abdeen ZA, Hamid ZA, Abu-Rmeileh NM, Acosta-Cazares B, Acuin C, et al. Worldwide trends in body-mass index, underweight, overweight, and obesity from 1975 to 2016: a pooled analysis of 2416 population-based measurement studies in 128�9 million children, adolescents, and adults. The Lancet. 2017; 390(10113):2627–42.
7. Ellulu MS, Patimah I, Khaza’ai H, Rahmat A, Abed Y. Obesity and inflammation: the linking mechanism and the complications. Arch Med Sci. 2017; 13(4):851–63. Epub 2016/03/31. https://doi.org/10.5114/aoms.2016.58928.
8. Pavord ID, Mathieson N, Scowcroft A, Pedersini R, Isherwood G, Price D. The impact of poor asthma control among asthma patients treated with inhaled corticosteroids plus long-acting β2-agonists in the United Kingdom: a cross-sectional analysis. npj Primary Care Respiratory Medicine. 2017; 27(1):17. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41533-017-0014-1.
9. Goudarzi H, Kimura H, Kimura H, Makita H, Matsumoto M, Takei N, Shimizu K, Suzuki M, Watanabe T, Kikuchi E, Ohira H. Effects of obesity on CC16 and their potential role in overweight/obese asthma. Respiratory research. 2022 Dec;23(1):1-0.
10. Moitra S, Carsin AE, Abramson MJ, Accordini S, Amaral AF, Anto J, Bono R, Ruiz LC, Cerveri I, Chatzi L, Demoly P. Long-term effect of asthma on the development of obesity among adults: an international cohort study, ECRHS. Thorax. 2023 Feb 1;78(2):128-35.
11. Parlar-Chun R, Truong G, Isbell T, Delgado Y, Arca M. Association of obesity with severity outcomes in hospitalized pediatric asthma exacerbations. Journal of Asthma. 2022 Jan 2;59(1):54-8.
12. Hales CM, Carroll MD, Fryar CD, Ogden CL. Prevalence of obesity among adults and youth: United States, 2015-2016. NCHS Data Brief. 2017;288:1-8
13. Lang JE, Bunnell HT, Hossain MJ, et al. Being Overweight or Obese and the Development of Asthma. Pediatrics. 2018;142(6):e20182119.
14. Arteaga-Solis E, Zee T, Emala CW, Vinson C, Wess J, Karsenty G. Inhibition of leptin regulation of parasympathetic signaling as a cause of extreme body weight-associated asthma [published correction appears in Cell Metab. 2013 Mar 5;17(3):463-4]. doi:10.1016/j.cmet.2012.12.004
15. Sideleva O, Suratt BT, Black KE, et al. Obesity and asthma: an inflammatory disease of adipose tissue not the airway. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2012;186(7):598-605. doi:10.1164/rccm.201203-0573OC
16. Huang F, Del-Río-Navarro BE, Torres-Alcántara S, et al. Adipokines, asymmetrical dimethylarginine, and pulmonary function in adolescents with asthma and obesity. J Asthma. 2017;54(2):153-161. doi:10.1080/02770903.2016.1200611.
17. Orfanos S, Jude J, Deeney BT, et al. Obesity increases airway smooth muscle responses to contractile agonists. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2018;315(5):L673-L681. doi:10.1152/ajplung.00459.2017.
18. Mehari A, Afreen S, Ngwa J, et al. Obesity and Pulmonary Function in African Americans. PLoS One. 2015;10(10):e0140610. Published 2015 Oct 21. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0140610.
19. Neffen H, Chahuàn M, Hernández DD, et al. Key factors associated with uncontrolled asthma - the Asthma Control in Latin America Study. J Asthma. 2020;57(2):113-122. doi:10.1080/02770903.2018.1553050.
20. Tay TR, Radhakrishna N, Hore-Lacy F, et al. Comorbidities in difficult asthma are independent risk factors for frequent exacerbations, poor control and diminished quality of life. Respirology. 2016;21(8):1384-1390. doi:10.1111/resp.12838.
21. Okubo Y, Nochioka K, Hataya H, Sakakibara H, Terakawa T, Testa M. Burden of Obesity on Pediatric Inpatients with Acute Asthma Exacerbation in the United States. J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract. 2016;4(6):1227‐1231.
22. Wasilewska E, Małgorzewicz S, Szczepankiewicz A, Myśliwczyk D, Hennig M, Jassem E, Skotnicka M. Are obesity and asthma in school-age children still strongly related to breastfeeding in infancy?-A real-life study. European Review for Medical & Pharmacological Sciences. 2022 Mar 1;26(5).
23. Zhang W, Du J, Wang S, Ma H. Association of weight change patterns across adulthood with incident asthma: a retrospective cohort study. Scientific Reports. 2022 Jun 13;12(1):9756.
24. Bantulà M, Tubita V, Roca-Ferrer J, Mullol J, Valero A, Bobolea I, Pascal M, de Hollanda A, Vidal J, Picado C, Arismendi E. Differences in inflammatory cytokine profile in obesity-associated asthma: effects of weight loss. Journal of Clinical Medicine. 2022 Jun 29;11(13):3782.
25. Wong M, Han YY, Rosser F, Acosta-Pérez E, Canino G, Forno E, Celedón JC. Persistent overweight or obesity, lung function, and asthma exacerbations in Puerto Rican youth. Annals of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology. 2022 Apr 1;128(4):408-13.
26. Johnson O, Gerald LB, Harvey J, Roy G, Hazucha H, Large C, Burke A, McCormack M, Wise RA, Holbrook JT, Dixon AE. An online weight loss intervention for people with obesity and poorly controlled asthma. The Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology: In Practice. 2022 Jun 1;10(6):1577-86.
27. Sánchez-Ortega H, Jiménez-Cortegana C, Novalbos-Ruiz JP, Gómez-Bastero A, Soto-Campos JG, Sánchez-Margalet V. Role of Leptin as a link between Asthma and Obesity: A systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. International Journal of Molecular Sciences. 2022 Dec 29;24(1):546.