Main Article Content
Nanoparticles, Selenium nanoparticles, Green synthesis, Plant extract
Nanotechnology explores a variety of promising approaches in the area of biomedical sciences. For biogenesis of selenium nanoparticles different parts of a plant are used as they contain metabolites such as alkaloids, flavonoids, phenols, proteins and other phytochemicals which act as bio reducing agent to produce and stabilize nanoparticles. Nanotechnology also widely practiced in medicine, agriculture and many other technologies. The current review, focussed on green synthesis and its latest developments for the fabrication of selenium nanoparticles. This research article also summarises selenium nanoparticle and different plants individually combined along with their characterization such as UV- Vis spectroscopy, Transmission electron microscopy and scanning electron microscopy, etc., which specified the range, shape, size and other specification to easily identify and explore the studies further.
2. Malarkodi C, Rajeshkumar S, Vanaja M, Paulkumar K, Gnanajobitha G, Annadurai G. Eco-friendly synthesis and characterization of gold nanoparticles using Klebsiella pneumoniae. Journal of Nanostructure in Chemistry. 2013 Dec 1;3(1):30.
3. Ramakrishna M, Babu DR, Gengan RM, Chandra S, Rao GN. Green synthesis of gold nanoparticles using marine algae and evaluation of their catalytic activity. Journal of Nanostructure in Chemistry. 2016 Mar 1;6(1):1-3.
4. Gnanajobitha G, Paulkumar K, Vanaja M, Rajeshkumar S, Malarkodi C, Annadurai G, Kannan C. Fruit-mediated synthesis of silver nanoparticles using Vitis vinifera and evaluation of their antimicrobial efficacy. Journal of Nanostructure in Chemistry. 2013 Dec 1;3(1):67.
5. Vanaja M, Gnanajobitha G, Paulkumar K, Rajeshkumar S, Malarkodi C, Annadurai G. Phytosynthesis of silver nanoparticles by Cissus quadrangularis: influence of physicochemical factors. Journal of Nanostructure in Chemistry. 2013 Dec 1;3(1):17.
6. Paulkumar K, Gnanajobitha G, Vanaja M, Rajeshkumar S, Malarkodi C, Pandian K, Annadurai G. Piper nigrum leaf and stem assisted green synthesis of silver nanoparticles and evaluation of its antibacterial activity against agricultural plant pathogens. The Scientific World Journal. 2014 Jan 1;2014.
7. Karthiga P, Rajeshkumar S, Annadurai G. Mechanism of larvicidal activity of antimicrobial silver nanoparticles synthesized using garcinia mangostana bark extract. Journal of Cluster Science. 2018 Nov 1;29(6):1233-41.
8. Santhoshkumar J, Rajeshkumar S, Kumar SV. Phyto-assisted synthesis, characterization and applications of gold nanoparticles–a review. Biochemistry and biophysics reports. 2017 Sep 1;11:46-57.
9. Mollick MM, Rana D, Dash SK, Chattopadhyay S, Bhowmick B, Maity D, Mondal D, Pattanayak S, Roy S, Chakraborty M, Chattopadhyay D. Studies on green synthesized silver nanoparticles using Abelmoschus esculentus (L.) pulp extract having anticancer (in vitro) and antimicrobial applications. Arabian journal of chemistry. 2019 Dec 1;12(8):2572-84.
10. Marchiol L, Mattiello A, Pošćić F, Giordano C, Musetti R. In vivo synthesis of nanomaterials in plants: location of silver nanoparticles and plant metabolism. Nanoscale research letters. 2014 Dec 1;9(1):101.
11. Rajakumar G, Thiruvengadam M, Mydhili G, Gomathi T, Chung IM. Green approach for synthesis of zinc oxide nanoparticles from Andrographis paniculata leaf extract and evaluation of their antioxidant, anti-diabetic, and anti-inflammatory activities. Bioprocess and biosystems engineering. 2018 Jan 1;41(1):21-30.
12. Alsammarraie FK, Wang W, Zhou P, Mustapha A, Lin M. Green synthesis of silver nanoparticles using turmeric extracts and investigation of their antibacterial activities. Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces. 2018 Nov 1;171:398-405.
13. Rajeshkumar S, Bharath LV. Mechanism of plant-mediated synthesis of silver nanoparticles–a review on biomolecules involved, characterisation and antibacterial activity. Chemico-biological interactions. 2017 Aug 1;273:219-27.
14. Agarwal H, Kumar SV, Rajeshkumar S. Antidiabetic effect of silver nanoparticles synthesized using lemongrass (Cymbopogon Citratus) through conventional heating and microwave irradiation approach. Journal of Microbiology, Biotechnology and Food Sciences. 2020 Jan 6;9(6):371-6.
15. Umoren SA, Obot IB, Gasem ZM. Green synthesis and characterization of silver nanoparticles using red apple (Malus domestica) fruit extract at room temperature. J Mater Environ Sci. 2014;5(3):907-14.
16. Lebaschi S, Hekmati M, Veisi H. Green synthesis of palladium nanoparticles mediated by black tea leaves (Camellia sinensis) extract: catalytic activity in the reduction of 4-nitrophenol and Suzuki-Miyaura coupling reaction under ligand-free conditions. Journal of colloid and interface science. 2017 Jan 1;485:223-31.
17. Selvan DA, Mahendiran D, Kumar RS, Rahiman AK. Garlic, green tea and turmeric extracts-mediated green synthesis of silver nanoparticles: Phytochemical, antioxidant and in vitro cytotoxicity studies. Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology B: Biology. 2018 Mar 1;180:243-52.
18. Selvan DA, Mahendiran D, Kumar RS, Rahiman AK. Garlic, green tea and turmeric extracts-mediated green synthesis of silver nanoparticles: Phytochemical, antioxidant and in vitro cytotoxicity studies. Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology B: Biology. 2018 Mar 1;180:243-52.
19. Khan ZU, Khan A, Chen Y, Shah NS, Muhammad N, Khan AU, Tahir K, Khan FU, Murtaza B, Hassan SU, Qaisrani SA. Biomedical applications of green synthesized Nobel metal nanoparticles. Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology B: Biology. 2017 Aug 1;173:150-64.
20. Singh J, Dutta T, Kim KH, Rawat M, Samddar P, Kumar P. ‘Green’synthesis of metals and their oxide nanoparticles: applications for environmental remediation. Journal of nanobiotechnology. 2018 Dec 1;16(1):84.
21. Chhabria S, Desai K. Selenium nanoparticles and their applications. Encyclopedia of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology. 2016;20:1-32.
22. Skalickova S, Milosavljevic V, Cihalova K, Horky P, Richtera L, Adam V. Selenium nanoparticles as a nutritional supplement. Nutrition. 2017 Jan 1;33:83-90.
23. Schomburg L, Arnér ES. Selenium metabolism in herbivores and higher trophic levels including mammals. InSelenium in plants 2017 (pp. 123-139). Springer, Cham.
24. Rayman MP. Selenium and human health. The Lancet. 2012 Mar 31;379(9822):1256-68.
25. Santos I, Ramos C, Mendes C, Sequeira CO, Tomé CS, Fernandes DG, Mota P, Pires RF, Urso D, Hipólito A, Antunes AM. Targeting Glutathione and Cystathionine β-Synthase in Ovarian Cancer Treatment by Selenium–Chrysin Polyurea Dendrimer Nanoformulation. Nutrients. 2019 Oct;11(10):2523.
26. Rajeshkumar S, Ganesh L, Santhoshkumar J. Selenium Nanoparticles as Therapeutic Agents in Neurodegenerative Diseases. InNanobiotechnology in Neurodegenerative Diseases 2019 (pp. 209-224). Springer, Cham.
27. Sharma G, Sharma AR, Bhavesh R, Park J, Ganbold B, Nam JS, Lee SS. Biomolecule-mediated synthesis of selenium nanoparticles using dried Vitis vinifera (raisin) extract. Molecules. 2014 Mar;19(3):2761-70.
28. Husen A, Siddiqi KS. Plants and microbes assisted selenium nanoparticles: characterization and application. Journal of nanobiotechnology. 2014 Dec 1;12(1):28.
29. Anu K, Singaravelu G, Murugan K, Benelli G. Green-synthesis of selenium nanoparticles using garlic cloves (Allium sativum): biophysical characterization and cytotoxicity on vero cells. Journal of Cluster Science. 2017 Jan 1;28(1):551-63.
30. Satgurunathan T, Bhavan PS, Komathi S. Green synthesis of selenium nanoparticles from sodium selenite using garlic extract and its enrichment on Artemia nauplii to feed the freshwater prawn Macrobrachium rosenbergii post-larvae. Res J Chem Environ. 2017 Oct;21:1-2.
31. Ezhuthupurakkal PB, Polaki LR, Suyavaran A, Subastri A, Sujatha V, Thirunavukkarasu C. Selenium nanoparticles synthesized in aqueous extract of Allium sativum perturbs the structural integrity of Calf thymus DNA through intercalation and groove binding. Materials Science and Engineering: C. 2017 May 1;74:597-608.
32. Menon S, KS SD, Santhiya R, Rajeshkumar S, Kumar V. Selenium nanoparticles: A potent chemotherapeutic agent and an elucidation of its mechanism. Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces. 2018 Oct 1;170:280-92.
33. Husen A, Siddiqi KS. Plants and microbes assisted selenium nanoparticles: characterization and application. Journal of nanobiotechnology. 2014 Dec 1;12(1):28.
34. Sharma G, Sharma AR, Bhavesh R, Park J, Ganbold B, Nam JS, Lee SS. Biomolecule-mediated synthesis of selenium nanoparticles using dried Vitis vinifera (raisin) extract. Molecules. 2014 Mar;19(3):2761-70.
35. Fritea L, Laslo V, Cavalu S, Costea T, Vicas SI. Green biosynthesis of selenium nanoparticles using parsley (petroselinum crispum) leaves extract. Studia Universitatis" Vasile Goldis" Arad. Seria Stiintele Vietii (Life Sciences Series). 2017 Jul 1;27(3):203-8.
36. Zhang W, Zhang J, Ding D, Zhang L, Muehlmann LA, Deng SE, Wang X, Li W, Zhang W. Synthesis and antioxidant properties of Lycium barbarum polysaccharides capped selenium nanoparticles using tea extract. Artificial Cells, Nanomedicine, and Biotechnology. 2018 Oct 3;46(7):1463-70.
37. Kokila K, Elavarasan N, Sujatha V. Diospyros montana leaf extract-mediated synthesis of selenium nanoparticles and their biological applications. New Journal of Chemistry. 2017;41(15):7481-90.
38. Sowndarya P, Ramkumar G, Shivakumar MS. Green synthesis of selenium nanoparticles conjugated Clausena dentata plant leaf extract and their insecticidal potential against mosquito vectors. Artificial cells, nanomedicine, and biotechnology. 2017 Nov 17;45(8):1490-5.
39. Cui D, Liang T, Sun L, Meng L, Yang C, Wang L, Liang T, Li Q. Green synthesis of selenium nanoparticles with extract of hawthorn fruit induced HepG2 cells apoptosis. Pharmaceutical biology. 2018 Jan 1;56(1):528-34.
40. Gunti L, Dass RS, Kalagatur NK. Phytofabrication of selenium nanoparticles from Emblica officinalis fruit extract and exploring its biopotential applications: antioxidant, antimicrobial, and biocompatibility. Frontiers in microbiology. 2019 Apr 30;10:931.
41. Babajani A, Iranbakhsh A, Ardebili ZO, Eslami B. Differential growth, nutrition, physiology, and gene expression in Melissa officinalis mediated by zinc oxide and elemental selenium nanoparticles. Environmental Science and Pollution Research. 2019 Aug 1;26(24):24430-44.
42. Alagesan V, Venugopal S. Green synthesis of selenium nanoparticle using leaves extract of withania somnifera and its biological applications and photocatalytic activities. Bionanoscience. 2019 Mar 15;9(1):105-16.
43. Ramamurthy CH, Sampath KS, Arunkumar P, Kumar MS, Sujatha V, Premkumar K, Thirunavukkarasu C. Green synthesis and characterization of selenium nanoparticles and its augmented cytotoxicity with doxorubicin on cancer cells. Bioprocess and biosystems engineering. 2013 Aug 1;36(8):1131-9.
44. Menon S, KS SD, Agarwal H, Shanmugam VK. Efficacy of Biogenic Selenium Nanoparticles from an extract of ginger towards evaluation on anti-microbial and anti-oxidant activities. Colloid and Interface Science Communications. 2019 Mar 1;29:1-8.
45. Fardsadegh B, Vaghari H, Mohammad-Jafari R, Najian Y, Jafarizadeh-Malmiri H. Biosynthesis, characterization and antimicrobial activities assessment of fabricated selenium nanoparticles using Pelargonium zonale leaf extract. Green Processing and Synthesis. 2019 Jan 28;8(1):191-8.