FREQUENCY OF DIABETES MELLITUS IN PATIENTS WITH CHRONIC HEPATITIS C INFECTION

Main Article Content

Dr Uzma Mansoor
Dr Kiran Fatima
Dr Kamlesh Kumar Ahuja
Dr Abira Khan
Dr Asif Khan

Keywords

Chronic, Hepatitis C infection, diabetes mellitus

Abstract

Objectives:To determine the frequency of diabetes mellitus in patients with chronic Hepatitis C Infection.


Materials and Methods:  In this cross sectional study, we enrolled a total of 102 patients of both gender. The study duration was 6 month from (August, 2023 to January, 2024) and was conducted at Jinnah Sindh Medical University, Karachi Pakistan. All the patients were clinically examined. 5 ml blood were obtained from all the patients and send to laboratory for testing Fasting blood sugar.  HCV Ab test, used for initial screening for hepatitis C, was also done to conform the hepatitis C infection.


Results: The mean age of the 102 patients enrolled in the study was 39.04 ± 8.99 years. Among them, 62 (60.8%) were male, while the remaining 40 (39.2%) were female. The majority of patients, 78 (76.5%), fell within the age group of 31-50 years, followed by 12 patients each (11.8%) in the age groups of 18-30 years and >50 years. Diabetes mellitus (DM) was diagnosed in 33 (32.4%) patients. Stratification of DM with respect to age groups and gender was conducted, revealing insignificant p-values in both cases.


Conclusion: The study concluded that there is association between chronic Hepatitis C infection and diabetes mellitus.

Abstract 145 | PDF Downloads 44

References

1. Macaluso FS, Maida M, Minissale MG, Li Vigni T, Attardo S, Orlando E, et al. Metabolic factors and chronic hepatitis C: a complex interplay. BioMed Research International. 2013;2013.
2. Mason AL, Lau JY, Hoang N, Qian K, Alexander GJ, Xu L, et al. Association of diabetes mellitus and chronic hepatitis C virus infection. Hepatology. 1999;29(2):328-33.
3. White DL, Ratziu V, El-Serag HB. Hepatitis C infection and risk of diabetes: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Journal of hepatology. 2008;49(5):831-44.
4. Hsu CS, Liu CJ, Liu CH, Wang CC, Chen CL, Lai MY, et al. High hepatitis C viral load is associated with insulin resistance in patients with chronic hepatitis C. Liver International. 2008;28(2):271-7.
5. Desbois A-C, Cacoub P. Diabetes mellitus, insulin resistance and hepatitis C virus infection: a contemporary review. World journal of gastroenterology. 2017;23(9):1697.
6. Safi SZ, Shah H, Yan GOS, Qvist R. Insulin resistance provides the connection between hepatitis C virus and diabetes. Brieflands; 2015.
7. Naing C, Mak JW, Ahmed SI, Maung M. Relationship between hepatitis C virus infection and type 2 diabetes mellitus: meta-analysis. World journal of gastroenterology: WJG. 2012;18(14):1642.
8. Simó R, Hernández C, Genescà J, Jardí R, Mesa J. High prevalence of hepatitis C virus infection in diabetic patients. Diabetes care. 1996;19(9):998-1000.
9. Jacobson IM, Davis GL, El–Serag H, Negro F, Trépo C. Prevalence and challenges of liver diseases in patients with chronic hepatitis C virus infection. Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology. 2010;8(11):924-33.
10. Torres HA, Shigle TL, Hammoudi N, Link JT, Samaniego F, Kaseb A, et al. The oncologic burden of hepatitis C virus infection: a clinical perspective. CA: a cancer journal for clinicians. 2017;67(5):411-31.
11. Ni H, Moe S, Htet A. Hepatitis C virus infection in diabetes mellitus patients. International Journal of Collaborative Research on Internal Medicine & Public Health. 2012;4(5):560.
12. Kumar A, Gangwar R, Ahmad Zargar A, Kumar R, Sharma A. Prevalence of diabetes in India: A review of IDF diabetes atlas 10th edition. Current diabetes reviews. 2024;20(1):105-14.
13. Negro F, Alaei M. Hepatitis C virus and type 2 diabetes. World journal of gastroenterology: WJG. 2009;15(13):1537.
14. Gray H, Wreghitt T, Stratton I, Alexander G, Turner R, O'rahilly S. High prevalence of hepatitis C infection in Afro‐Caribbean patients with type 2 diabetes and abnormal liver function tests. Diabetic Medicine. 1995;12(3):244-9.
15. Caronia S, Taylor K, Pagliaro L, Carr C, Palazzo U, Petrik J, et al. Further evidence for an association between non–insulin‐dependent diabetes mellitus and chronic hepatitis C virus infection. Hepatology. 1999;30(4):1059-63.
16. Ryu JK, Lee SB, Hong SJ, Lee S. Association of chronic hepatitis C virus infection and diabetes mellitus in Korean patients. The Korean journal of internal medicine. 2001;16(1):18.
17. Mehta SH, Brancati FL, Sulkowski MS, Strathdee SA, Szklo M, Thomas DL. Prevalence of type 2 diabetes mellitus among persons with hepatitis C virus infection in the United States. Annals of internal medicine. 2000;133(8):592-9.
18. Cacoub P, Poynard T, Ghillani P, Charlotte F, Olivi M, Charles Piette J, et al. Extrahepatic manifestations of chronic hepatitis C. Arthritis & Rheumatism: Official Journal of the American College of Rheumatology. 1999;42(10):2204-12.