Main Article Content
Capsicum annuum, breast cancer, anti-cancerous, therapeutic potential, functional food
Ethnopharmacological relevancy: Many studies showed that various segments of Capsicum annuum L, has therapeutic and ameliorative potential against cancer which is one of the major contributor for causing oxidative stress, adduct formation in genetic material and cell proliferation, etc.
Aim of study: Current research was carried out to analyze anti-cancerous potential of Capsicum annuum extract in breast cancerous rats.
Material and methods: Capsicum annuum ethanolic extract was attained via employing Soxhlet apparatus. This obtained extract was further utilized for research trial on rats. For this purpose, 50 healthy female rats were chosen for study, the rats were segregated into five groups, 10 rats in each group; G0 (negative control group), G1 (positive control group), G2 (doxorubicin as a standard drug), G3 and G4 (rats receiving capsicum extracts). Breast cancer in rats was induced by administering the single dose of DMBA (50mg/kg) through gavage. Blood samples were investigated for breast cancer biomarkers and serum biomarkers to analyze the outcome of treatments. Furthermore, tumor weight, volume, burden and incidence was also noticed along with histopathological examination of tissues.
Results: The Capsicum annuum extracts prevented the rise in concentration of biomarkers of breast cancer in rats that are CA 15.3, CA 27.29 and CEA. Furthermore, the capsicum extracts also significantly improved the level of serum biomarkers such as TAC (Total antioxidant capacity) and TOS (Total oxidative stress) in breast cancerous rats. The tumor weight, volume, burden and incidence was significantly decreased in G2, G3 and G4 groups treated with doxorubicin and Capsicum annuum extracts. Histopathological examination of breast tissues showed that tissue damage was reversed in groups G3 and G4 treated with capsicum extracts.
2. Akhouri, V., Kumari, M., & Kumar, A. 2020. Therapeutic effect of Aegle marmelos fruit extract against DMBA induced breast cancer in rats. Scientific Reports, 10(1), 1-12.
3. Anna, N. and W.P. Olszewski. 2021. The role of stromal immune microenvironment in the progression of ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS) to invasive breast cancer. Breast Cancer Research. 23: 106-118.
4. Ashraf, M., V. Kalaichelvan, R. Ragunathan and V. Venkatachalam. 2021. Antiproliferative potential of ethyl acetate extract of Clerodendrum thomsoniae Balf. F. on DMBA-induced breast cancer in female Sprague Dawley rats. Indian J. Pharmaceutical Educ. Res. 55: 1-10.
5. Basharat, S., S.A. Gilani, F. Iftikhara, M.A. Murtazac, A. Basharatd, A. Sattare, M.M. Qamarf and M. Alig. 2020. Capsaicin: Plants of the Genus Capsicum and Positive Effect of Oriental Spice on Skin Health. Skin. Pharmacol. Physio. 2: 1-11.
6. Coppola, L., A. Cianflone, K. Pane, M. Franzese, P. Mirabelli and M. Salvatore. 2021. The impact of different preanalytical methods related to CA 15-3 determination in frozen human blood samples: a systematic review. Syst. Rev. 10: 102-111.
7. Deepalakshmi, K. and S. Mirunalini. 2013. Modulatory effect of Ganoderma lucidum on expression of xenobiotic enzymes, oxidant-antioxidant and hormonal status in 7,12-dimethylbenz (a) anthracene-induced mammary carcinoma in rats. Pharmacogn. Mag. 9: 159-167.
8. Elwan, M., M. Abdelhakeam, S. El-Shafei, A.A. El-Rahman, Z. Ismail, A. Zanouny, E. Shaker 2, S. S. Al-Rejaie, M. Mohany and S. Elnesr. 2020. Efficacy of Dietary Supplementation with Capsicum Annum L on Performance, Hematology, Blood Biochemistry and Hepatic Antioxidant Status of Growing Rabbits. Anim. Sci. J. 10: 2-14.
9. Gueyo, T. N., Zingue, S., Mvondo, M. A., Mmutlane, E., Ndinteh, D. T., Pieme, C. A and Njamen, D. 2021. Cytotoxic and cancer chemopreventive potentials of the Anthonotha macrophylla P. Beauv aqueous extract on 7, 12-dimethylbenz [a] anthracene-induced breast cancer in rats. Biologia, 76(2), 729–739.
10. Hall, C., L. Clarke, A. Pal, P. Buchwald, T. Eglinton, C. Wakeman and F. Frizelle. 2019. A Review of the Role of Carcinoembryonic Antigen in Clinical Practice. Ann. Coloprotocol. 35: 294-305.
11. Hassanpour, S.H. and M. Dehghani. 2017. Review of cancer from perspective of molecular. J. Cancer. Res. Clin. Oncol. 4: 127-129.
12. Henry, D.P.J., J. Ranjan, R.K. Murugan, A. Sivanantham and M. Alagumuthu. 2020. Exploration of anti-breast effects of Terminalia chebula extract on DMBA induced mammary carcinoma in Sprague dawley rats. Future J. Pharm. Sci. 6: 1-13.
13. Karimi, B., Ashrafi, M., Shomali, T., & Yektaseresht, A. 2019. Therapeutic effect of simvastatin on DMBA‐induced breast cancer in mice. Fundamental & Clinical Pharmacology, 33(1), 84-93.
14. Kim, E.H., S.Y. Lee, D.Y. Baek, S.Y. Park, S.G. Lee, T.H. Ryu, S.K. Lee, H.J. Kang, O.H. Kwon, M. Kil and S.W. Oh. 2019. A comparison of the nutrient composition and statistical profile in red pepper fruits (Capsicums annuum L.) based on genetic and environmental factors. Appl. Biol. Chem. 1: 1-13.
15. Kurnijasanti, R., A.I.P. Edward, Y. Kristijanto, D. Mahendra and N.I. Hermanda. 2017. Potential of green chili extract (Capsicum annuum) on myeloma cells death. Adv Health Sci Educ. 5: 1-3.
16. Laya, A., Koubala, B. B., Pathak, K. P., & Bueno, V. 2021. Vitamins and Provitamins Intake as New Insights to Prevent and/or to Treat breast Cancer: A Systemic Review. Int J Cancer Clin Res, 8, 162.
17. Lin, Y.T., H.C. Wang, Y.C. Hsu, C.L. Cho, M.Y. Yang and C.Y. Chien. 2017. Capsaicin Induces Autophagy and Apoptosis in Human Nasopharyngeal Carcinoma Cells by Downregulating the PI3K/AKT/mTOR Pathway. Int. J. Mol. Sci. 18: 1-16.
18. Lu, M., & Zhan, X. 2018. The crucial role of multiomic approach in cancer research and clinically relevant outcomes. EPMA Journal, 9(1), 77-102.
19. Luo, X. S. Yang, Y. Luo, H. Qiu, T. Li, J. Li, X. Chen, X. Zheng, J. Zhang, Z. Zhang and C. Qin. 2021. Molecular Characterization and Expression Analysis of the Na+/H+ Exchanger Gene Family in Capsicum annuum L. Plant Genomics. 12: 47-61.
20. Montgomery, D.C., 2017. In: Design and Analysis of Experiments, ninth ed. John Wiley and Sons. Inc., Hoboken, NJ, USA, pp. 162-264.
21. Oh, J., Giallongo, F. Frederick, T. Pate, J. Walusimbi, S. Elias, R.J. Wall, E.H. Bravo and A.N. Hristov. 2015. Effects of dietary Capsicum oleoresin on productivity and immune responses in lactating dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci. 98: 6327-6339.
22. Saleh, A., H.M. ElFayoumi, M. Youns, and W. Barakat. 2018. Rutin and orlistat produce antitumor effects via antioxidant and apoptotic actions. Naunyn-Schmiedeb. Arch. Phar. 2: 1-11.
23. Schmidt, D. R., Patel, R., Kirsch, D. G., Lewis, C. A., Vander Heiden, M. G., & Locasale, J. W. 2021. Metabolomics in cancer research and emerging applications in clinical oncology. CA: A Cancer Journal for Clinicians, 71(4), 333-358.
24. Shao, Y., X. Sun, Y. He, C. Liu and H. Liu. 2015. Elevated levels of serum tumor markers CEA and CA15-3 are prognostic parameters for different molecular subtypes of breast cancer. PLoS One. 7: 133-140.
25. Siegel, R.L., K.D. Miller and A. Jemal. 2020. Cancer statistics. CA: Cancer J. Clin. 70: 7-30.
26. Zingue, S., Cisilotto, J., Tueche, A. B., Bishayee, A., Mefegue, F. A., Sandjo, L. P., Magne Nde, C. B., Winter, E., Michel, T., Ndinteh, D. T., Awounfack, C. F., Silihe, K. K., Melachio Tanekou, T. T., Creczynski-Pasa, T. B., & Njamen, D. (2016). Crateva adansonii DC, an African ethnomedicinal plant, exerts cytotoxicity in vitro and prevents experimental mammary tumorigenesis in vivo. Journal of Ethnopharmacology, 190, 183–199. https://doi.org/10.1016/ j.jep.2016.06.004.
27. Zaheer, S., N. Shah, S.A. Maqbool and N.M. Soomro. 2019. Estimates of past and future time trends in age-specific breast cancer incidence among women in Karachi, Pakistan: 2004–2025. BMC Public Health. 19: 1-9.