Main Article Content
Medicinal plants, Psammogeton biternatum Edgew, NMR, HMBC, molecular docking, and α-glucosidase
Medicinal plants have been widely used in the treatment of various diseases for human health. The present aim of this study was to investigate and identify the bioactive compounds from crude extracts of Psammogeton biternatum Edgew. It belongs to the family Apiaceae. There are numerous advanced techniques were used like NMR and HMBC. Three new pure compounds i.e., compound 1, compound 2 and compound 3 were isolated from the chloroform fraction of the plant. These compounds were screened for enzyme inhibition which was found more potent than the standard. In addition, an in silico molecular docking analysis was also performed with the target enzyme α-glucosidase which potential target for diabetic patients. Among all the three compounds, compound 3 showed the best docking score of -7.6 kcal/mol with the target enzyme. Moreover, in the future, this study can shed light on the development of plant therapeutics for diabetic patients.
2. Ahmed, N., M.I. Karobari, A. Yousaf, R.N. Mohamed, S. Arshad, S.N. Basheer, S.W. Peeran, T.Y. Noorani, A.A. Assiry, and A.S. Alharbi. 2022. The antimicrobial efficacy against selective oral microbes, antioxidant activity and preliminary phytochemical screening of Zingiber officinale. Infection and Drug Resistance:2773-2785.
3. Ajaib, M., M. Changaiz, M.A.I. Aziz-ul-Hassan, and K.H. Bhatti. 2019. EVALUATION OF THE ANTIOXIDANT AND ANTIDIABETIC PROPERTIES OF PSAMMOGETON BITERNATUM EDGEW. IN STREPTOZOTOCIN INDUCED DIABETIC MALE RATS. INT. J. BIOL. BIOTECH. 16:95-100.
4. Amin, Z.S., M. Afzal, J. Ahmad, N. Ahmed, B. Zeshan, N.H.H.N. Hashim, and C.Y. Yean. 2023. Synthesis, Characterization and Biological Activities of Zinc Oxide Nanoparticles Derived from Secondary Metabolites of Lentinula edodes. Molecules. 28:3532.
5. Anis, S., M.M. Khan, Z. Ali, A. Khan, H.M. Arsalan, S. Naeem, I. Saleem, S. Qamar, M.M. Khan, and A. Ahmad. 2021. Novel corona virus disease (COVID-19): An updated review on epidemiology, pathogenicity, clinical course, treatments, migrant health concerns and risk factors predictions. Pak. J. Pharm. Sci. 34:1807-1822.
6. Assiry, A.A., N. Ahmed, A. Almuaddi, A. Saif, M.A. Alshahrani, R.N. Mohamed, and M.I. Karobari. 2023. The antioxidant activity, preliminary phytochemical screening of Zingiber zerumbet and antimicrobial efficacy against selective endodontic bacteria. Food Science & Nutrition.
7. Aziz-UL-Ikram, N.B.Z., Z.K. Shinwari, and M. Qaiser. 2015. Ethnomedicinal review of folklore medicinal plants belonging to family Apiaceae of Pakistan. Pak J Bot. 47:1007-1014.
8. Bibi, T., M. Ahmad, I. Ahmadbaloch, S. Muhammad, and R. Manzoor. 2017. Ethnomedicinal uses of plants for child birth and postpartum recovery in District Pishin, Northern Balochistan, Pakistan. Int J Biol Pharm Allied Sci. 6:1730-1760.
9. Frandsen, T.P., F. Lok, E. Mirgorodskaya, P. Roepstorff, and B. Svensson. 2000. Purification, enzymatic characterization, and nucleotide sequence of a high-isoelectric-point α-glucosidase from barley malt. Plant physiology. 123:275-286.
10. Hanwell, M.D., D.E. Curtis, D.C. Lonie, T. Vandermeersch, E. Zurek, and G.R. Hutchison. 2012. Avogadro: an advanced semantic chemical editor, visualization, and analysis platform. Journal of cheminformatics. 4:1-17.
11. Hasan, Z., B. Zeshan, A. Hassan, N.H.A. Daud, A. Sadaf, and N. Ahmed. 2023. Preparation and characterization of edible whey protein nanofibrils and efficacy studies on the quality and shelf‐life of chilled food products. Journal of Food Safety. 43:e13034.
12. Javed, F., Z. Ali, S. Ali, N. Ahmed, M.K. Alam, Y. Mahmood, and A. Wali. 2022. BARLEY BRAN, A NOVEL AGRICULTURAL WASTE FOR THE IMPROVED PRODUCTION OF AN EXTRACELLULAR LACCASE FROM A SOIL-INHABITED Penicillium spp. Journal of microbiology, biotechnology and food sciences. 12:e3631-e3631.
13. Kaplan, W., and T.G. Littlejohn. 2001. Swiss-PDB viewer (deep view). Briefings in bioinformatics. 2:195-197.
14. Laskowski, R.A., and M.B. Swindells. 2011. LigPlot+: multiple ligand–protein interaction diagrams for drug discovery. ACS Publications.
15. Li, Z., H. Wan, Y. Shi, and P. Ouyang. 2004. Personal experience with four kinds of chemical structure drawing software: review on ChemDraw, ChemWindow, ISIS/Draw, and ChemSketch. Journal of chemical information and computer sciences. 44:1886-1890.
16. Rahimi-Nasrabadi, M., M. Gholivand, H. Batooli, and A. Vatanara. 2009. Chemical composition of the essential oil from leaves and flowering aerial parts of Psammogeton canescens (DC.) vake from Iran. فصلنامه علمی پژوهشی گیاهان دارویی. 8:82-86.
17. Ramzan, M., M.I. Karobari, A. Heboyan, R.N. Mohamed, M. Mustafa, S.N. Basheer, V. Desai, S. Batool, N. Ahmed, and B. Zeshan. 2022. Synthesis of silver nanoparticles from extracts of wild ginger (Zingiber zerumbet) with antibacterial activity against selective multidrug resistant oral bacteria. Molecules. 27:2007.
18. Tariq, F., N. Ahmed, M. Afzal, M.A.U. Khan, and B. Zeshan. 2020. Synthesis, Characterization and antimicrobial activity of Bacillus subtilis-derived silver nanoparticles against multidrug-resistant bacteria. Jundishapur Journal of Microbiology. 13.
19. Tundis, R., M.R. Loizzo, and F. Menichini. 2010. Natural products as α-amylase and α-glucosidase inhibitors and their hypoglycaemic potential in the treatment of diabetes: an update. Mini reviews in medicinal chemistry. 10:315-331.
20. Uddin, G., A. Rauf, M. Arfan, Waliullah, I. Khan, M. Ali, M. Taimur, I. Ur-Rehman, and Samiullah. 2012. Pistagremic acid a new leishmanicidal triterpene isolated from Pistacia integerrima Stewart. Journal of enzyme inhibition and medicinal chemistry. 27:646-648.
21. Wargasetia, T.L., S. Permana, and N. Widodo. 2018. Potential use of compounds from sea cucumbers as MDM2 and CXCR4 inhibitors to control cancer cell growth. Experimental and therapeutic Medicine. 16:2985-2991.