Main Article Content
Hydrocephalus, endoscopic third ventricular ostomy (ETV), ventricular peritoneal shunt (VPS), systematic review, meta-analysis, comparative efficacy
Increased intracranial pressure and dilated ventricles are characteristics of hydrocephalus, a medical disorder caused by problems with the increased level of cerebrospinal fluid. This research meta-analyses previous studies to determine whether or not a shunt placed in the abdominal cavity is more successful than an ETV in treating obstructive hydrocephalus. Results Our examined cases for operational cases are operative cases. Postoperative infection, haemorrhage, blockage rate, cerebrospinal fluid leakage, and death from five randomised clinical trials including 88 patients. The risks of infection, obstruction, death, haemorrhage, and cerebrospinal fluid leakage were all decreased by 81%, 56%, 35%, and 56%, respectively, with ETV compared to VPS. However, the need for individual randomizedlised treatment decisions is emphasised by the diversity in outcome criteria and patient characteristics. While the findings from this study are helpful, further in-depth studies and age-specific analysis are required to adequately advise treatment recommendations. Aiming for standardized criteria in future research will help decrease result heterogeneity.
Study design: Meta-analyses-Study
Palace and duration of study: Department Of Neurosurgery Mmc Hospital Mardan, Pakistan From Jan 2022 To Jan 2023
2. Pande A, Lamba N, Mammi M, Gebrehiwet P, Trenary A, Doucette J, Papatheodorou S, Bunevicius A, Smith TR, Mekary RA. Endoscopic third ventriculostomy versus ventriculoperitoneal shunt in pediatric and adult population: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Neurosurgical Review. 2021 Jun;44:1227-41.
3. Li C, Gui S, Zhang Y. Compare the safety and efficacy of endoscopic third ventriculostomy and ventriculoperitoneal shunt placement in infants and children with hydrocephalus: a systematic review and meta-analysis. International Journal of Neuroscience. 2017 Jun 1(just-accepted):1-30.
4. Lu L, Chen H, Weng S, Xu Y. Endoscopic third ventriculostomy versus ventriculoperitoneal shunt in patients with obstructive hydrocephalus: meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. World neurosurgery. 2019 Sep 1;129:334-40.
5. Pasqualotto, E., Schmidt, P.H.S., Ferreira, R.O.M., Chavez, M.P. and da Silva, F.F.S., 2023. Endoscopic Third Ventriculostomy versus Ventriculoperitoneal Shunt in Patients with Obstructive Hydrocephalus: An Updated Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Asian Journal of Neurosurgery.
6. Rasul, F.T., Marcus, H.J., Toma, A.K., Thorne, L. and Watkins, L.D., 2013. Is endoscopic third ventriculostomy superior to shunts in patients with non-communicating hydrocephalus? A systematic review and meta-analysis of the evidence. Acta neurochirurgica, 155, pp.883-889.
7. Jesuyajolu, D.A., Zubair, A., Nicholas, A.K., Moti, T., Osarobomwen, O.E., Anyahaebizi, I., Okeke, C. and Davis, S.O., 2022. Endoscopic third ventriculostomy versus ventriculoperitoneal shunt insertion for the management of pediatric hydrocephalus in African centers–A systematic review and meta-analysis. Surgical Neurology International, 13.
8. Gillespie CS, Fang WY, Lee KS, Clynch AL, Alam AM, McMahon CJ. Long standing overt ventriculomegaly in adults (LOVA): a systematic review and meta-analysis of endoscopic third ventriculostomy vs ventriculoperitoneal shunt as first line treatment. World neurosurgery. 2023 Mar 21.
9. Legaspi, G.D., Espiritu, A.I. and Omar, A.T., 2021. Success and complication rates of endoscopic third ventriculostomy for tuberculous meningitis: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Neurosurgical Review, 44, pp.2201-2209.
10. Jiang L, Gao G, Zhou Y. Endoscopic third ventriculostomy and ventriculoperitoneal shunt for patients with noncommunicating hydrocephalus: A PRISMA-compliant meta-analysis. Medicine. 2018 Oct;97(42).
11. de Ribaupierre S, Rilliet B, Vernet O, Regli L, Villemure JG. Third ventriculostomy vs ventriculoperitoneal shunt in pediatric obstructive hydrocephalus: results from a Swiss series and literature review. Child's Nervous System. 2007 May;23:527-33.
12. Zaben M, Manivannan S, Sharouf F, Hammad A, Patel C, Bhatti I, Leach P. The efficacy of endoscopic third ventriculostomy in children 1 year of age or younger: A systematic review and meta-analysis. European Journal of Paediatric Neurology. 2020 May 1;26:7-14.
13. Giordan E, Palandri G, Lanzino G, Murad MH, Elder BD. Outcomes and complications of different surgical treatments for idiopathic normal pressure hydrocephalus: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Journal of neurosurgery. 2018 Nov 23;131(4):1024-36.
14. Montemurro, N., 2023. Clinical and surgical outcome of endoscopic third ventriculostomy (ETV) and ventriculoperitoneal shunt (VPS) in patients with Long-Standing Overt Ventriculomegaly in Adults (LOVA): a systematic review. Neurological Research, pp.1-8.