Main Article Content
Corona Virus, Pandemic, Weight management, Gym
ABSTRACT: The COVID-19 pandemic emerged in December 2019 in Wuhan, China, and has since exhibited a fast global dissemination, with the initial case being documented in Karachi on February 26, 2020.Consequently, the virus has disseminated to several places across Pakistan, leading to the exacerbation of a pandemic. The World Health Organization (WHO) has issued a warning to Pakistan, expressing concerns about the country's ability to effectively control the outbreak of the coronavirus in the near future. The closure period is associated with a multitude of challenges, including mental health concerns such as sadness, stress, worry, fear, inactivity, and mental lethargy. Additionally, individuals may have disruptions in their sleep patterns, a lack of motivation, difficulties in finding workout partners, changes in their eyesight, a decline in mood, feelings of boredom, and a need for specialized equipment. The aim of this study is to examine the impact of the Corona Virus pandemic on weight control practices among female individuals who regularly attend gyms in Lahore. The research methodology employed in this study is cross-sectional in nature. The research was carried out within the gymnasiums located in Lahore. The data was collected exclusively from female participants. The researchers employed a convenient sampling strategy. The study's sample size consisted of 80 participants. The findings suggest that there is a negligible and weak negative association (r = -.016) between the impact of the coronavirus and weight control in females who regularly attend the gym. Approximately 70% of females demonstrated an understanding of the need of structured physical activity (PA) and actively participated in various exercises. They also acknowledged the positive impact of PA on the physical, social, and mental well-being of women. This study posits that there exists a significant interrelationship between sleeping patterns, eating habits, and weight management, whereby these ideas mutually influence one another when not implemented in a deliberate and strategic manner. This study offers a distinctive perspective on the impact of the pandemic on the weight control practices of female individuals who regularly attend gyms.
2. Ahmed, A. S., Tabassum, M. F., Iqbal, M., Khan, S. U., Karim, R., & Mahmood-ul-Hassan, S. (2021). Determinants of Depression in Epileptic Patients in Pakistan. Turkish Online Journal of Qualitative Inquiry, 12(9), 7514-7523.
3. Asghar, R., Hassan, S., Tabassum, M. F., Tabassum, Y., Karim, R., & Qudus, A. (2021). Impact of passion and emotional reactions to success and failure among athletes. PalArch's Journal of Archaeology of Egypt/Egyptology, 18(10), 7-16.
4. Babar, F., Tabassum, M. F., Sattar, S., Hassan, S., & Karim, R. (2021). Analysis of table tennis skills: an assessment of shadow practice in learning forehand and backhand drive. PalArch's Journal of Archaeology of Egypt/Egyptology, 18(08), 4488-4502.
5. Bakar, N. A., &Rosbi, S. (2020). Effect of Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) to tourism industry. International Journal of Advanced Engineering Research and Science, 7(4), 189-193.
6. Bibi, A., Tabassum, M. F., & Mahmood-ul-Hassan, S. I. O. (2020). Effect of Sleep Loss and Mood on the Performance of Athletes. Ilkogretim Online, 19(3), 3617-3624.
7. Bostan, S., Erdem, R., Ozturk, Y. E., Kilic, T., & Yilmaz, A. (2020). The effect of COVID-19 pandemic on the Turkish society. Electron J Gen Med. 2020; 17 (6): em237.
8. Browning, M. H., Larson, L. R., Sharaievska, I., Rigolon, A., McAnirlin, O., Mullenbach, L., ... & Alvarez, H. O. (2021). Psychological impacts from COVID-19 among university students: Risk factors across seven states in the United States. PloS one, 16(1), e0245327.
9. Chaudhry, R., Dranitsaris, G., Mubashir, T., Bartoszko, J., &Riazi, S. (2020). A country level analysis measuring the impact of government actions, country preparedness and socioeconomic factors on COVID-19 mortality and related health outcomes. EClinicalMedicine, 25, 100464.
10. Clark, M. M., Abrams, D. B., Niaura, R. S., Eaton, C. A., & Rossi, J. S. (2021). Self-efficacy in weight management. Journal of consulting and clinical psychology, 59(5), 739.
11. Daniel, S. J. (2020). Education and the COVID-19 pandemic. Prospects, 49(1), 91-96.
12. De Figueiredo, C. S., Sandre, P. C., Portugal, L. C. L., Mázala-de-Oliveira, T., da Silva Chagas, L., Raony, Í., ... &Bomfim, P. O. S. (2021). COVID-19 pandemic impact on children and adolescents' mental health: Biological, environmental, and social factors. Progress in Neuro-Psychopharmacology and Biological Psychiatry, 106, 110171.
13. Deb, P., Furceri, D., Ostry, J. D., &Tawk, N. (2022). The economic effects of COVID-19 containment measures. Open Economies Review, 33(1), 1-32.
14. Douglas, M., Katikireddi, S. V., Taulbut, M., McKee, M., & McCartney, G. (2020). Mitigating the wider health effects of covid-19 pandemic response. Bmj, 369.
15. Fatima, T., Tabassum, M. F., Khan, S. U., Mahmood-ul-Hassan, S., & Karim, R. (2020). Wellness Impact On The Performance Of Young Female Athletes. Ilkogretim Online, 19(4), 5462-5470.
16. Gee, M., Mahan, L. K., & Escott-Stump, S. (2023). Weight management. The Permanente Journal, 7(3), 248-261.
17. Hassan, S., Ahmad, J., & Tabassum, M. F. (2021). A Critical Discourse Analysis of Editorial Cartoons, in the Context of India-Pakistan Relationship. Biannual Research Journal Grassroots, 55(2), 177-197.
18. Haleem, A., Javaid, M., & Vaishya, R. (2020). Effects of COVID-19 pandemic in daily life. Current medicine research and practice, 10(2), 78.
19. Hoofman, J., & Secord, E. (2021). The effect of COVID-19 on education. Pediatric Clinics, 68(5), 1071-1079.
20. Iqbal, Y., Aslam, S., & Ashfaq, M. (2019). The Impacts of Co-Curricular Activities on Physical and Mental Health of Secondary School Students in FATA. The Sky-International Journal of Physical Education Sports Sciences, 3(1), 12-27.
21. Johns, D. J., Hartmann-Boyce, J., Jebb, S. A., Aveyard, P., & Behavioural Weight Management Review Group. (2020). Diet or exercise interventions vs combined behavioral weight management programs: a systematic review and meta-analysis of direct comparisons. Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, 114(10), 1557-1568.
22. Karatas, S., Yesim, T., &Beysel, S. (2021). Impact of lockdown COVID-19 on metabolic control in type 2 diabetes mellitus and healthy people. Primary care diabetes, 15(3), 424-427.
23. Liu, J., Zhou, J., Yao, J., Zhang, X., Li, L., Xu, X., ... & Zhang, K. (2020). Impact of meteorological factors on the COVID-19 transmission: A multi-city study in China. Science of the total environment, 726, 138513.
24. Lone, S. A., & Ahmad, A. (2020). COVID-19 pandemic–an African perspective. Emerging microbes & infections, 9(1), 1300-1308.
25. Mazhar, S., Tabassum, M. F., Khan, S. U., Karim, R., Mahmood-ul-Hassan, S., & Ahmed, A. S. J. T. O. J. o. Q. I. (2021). Impact of Emotional Intelligence and Motivation on Sport Performance of Female Athletes. Turkish Online Journal of Qualitative Inquiry, 12(10), 4916-4933.
26. McFee, R. B. (2020). COVID-19 medical management including World Health Organization (WHO) suggested management strategies. Disease-a-Month, 66(9), 101068.
27. Mela, D. J. (2021). Determinants of food choice: relationships with obesity and weight control. Obesity research, 9(S11), 249S-255S.
28. Padhan, R., &Prabheesh, K. P. (2021). The economics of COVID-19 pandemic: A survey. Economic analysis and policy, 70, 220-237.
29. Pfefferbaum, B., & North, C. S. (2020). Mental health and the Covid-19 pandemic. New England journal of medicine, 383(6), 510-512.
30. Pokhrel, S., & Chhetri, R. (2021). A literature review on impact of COVID-19 pandemic on teaching and learning. Higher education for the future, 8(1), 133-141.
31. Pranggono, B., &Arabo, A. (2021). COVID‐19 pandemic cybersecurity issues. Internet Technology Letters, 4(2), e247.
32. Preethi, L., Ganamurali, N., Dhanasekaran, D., &Sabarathinam, S. (2021). Therapeutic use of Guggulsterone in COVID-19 induced obesity (COVIBESITY) and significant role in immunomodulatory effect. Obesity Medicine, 24, 100346.
33. Qiu, Y., Chen, X., & Shi, W. (2020). Impacts of social and economic factors on the transmission of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) in China. Journal of Population Economics, 33, 1127-1172.
34. Rahman, M. K., Gazi, M. A. I., Bhuiyan, M. A., &Rahaman, M. A. (2021). Effect of Covid-19 pandemic on tourist travel risk and management perceptions. Plos one, 16(9), e0256486.
35. Rajaratnam, S. M., & Arendt, J. (2020). Health in a 24-h society. The Lancet, 358(9286), 999-1005.
36. Sarkodie, S. A., & Owusu, P. A. (2020). Impact of meteorological factors on COVID-19 pandemic: Evidence from top 20 countries with confirmed cases. Environmental Research, 191, 110101.
37. Seagle, H. M., Strain, G. W., Makris, A., & Reeves, R. S. (2019). Position of the American Dietetic Association: weight management. Journal of the American Dietetic Association, 109(2), 330-346.
38. Storz, M. A. (2020). The COVID-19 pandemic: an unprecedented tragedy in the battle against childhood obesity. Clinical and experimental pediatrics, 63(12), 477.
39. Suryasa, I. W., Rodríguez-Gámez, M., &Koldoris, T. (2021). The COVID-19 pandemic. International Journal of Health Sciences, 5(2).
40. Tahir, H., Tabassum, M. F., Arshad, S., Farah, H., Zahra, S. M., Nawaz, A., . . . Hassan, S. (2021). Progressive Muscle Relaxation Training Acting as a Mediator between Anxiety and Performance of Taekwondo Athlete. Linguistica Antverpiensia, 20(4), 7669-7678.
41. Watkins, J. (2020). Preventing a covid-19 pandemic. Bmj, 368.
42. World Health Organization. (2019). World health statistics 2010. World Health Organization.