Main Article Content
anesthesia, patient satisfaction, acute pain, postoperative nausea and vomiting
Patient satisfaction in healthcare setting it is like a balance between pre care expectations, and after care experience. In our study we sought to analyze the patient’s satisfaction pre‑ and post‑operative as well as overall impression in Academic Tertiary Hospital.
Cross Sectional Study, the survey was undertaken among the patient's undergoing surgery in Qassim University Medical City. The questionnaire built by the research team
The response rate of the study was 98.1% and with total of 411 agreed to participate out of 419 patients received the questioner. As Overall patient satisfaction toward Anesthesia Experience in our hospital was 95% with surprising result showed that the male overall satisfaction was 99% in comparing to females 89% and significant (P < 0.001).
The paranesthesia orientation and discussion led better understanding to the patients about the expected postoperative expectations and management.
2. Alsaif A, Alqahtani S, Alanazi F, Alrashed F, Almutairi A. Patient satisfaction and experience with anesthesia: A multicenter survey in Saudi population. Saudi J Anaesth 2018;12:304-10.
3. Siegrist Jr, Richard Bolton. "Patient satisfaction: history, myths, and misperceptions." AMA Journal of Ethics 15.11 (2013): 982-987.
4. Mahon P. Y. An analysis of the concept ‘patient satisfaction’ as it relates to contemporary nursing care. Journal of Advanced Nursing. 1996;24(6):1241–1248. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2648.1996.tb01031.x.
5. Hall, J. A., & Dornan, M. C. (1988). What patients like about their medical care and how often they are asked: A meta-analysis of the satisfaction literature. Social Science & Medicine, 27(9), 935–939. doi:10.1016/0277-9536(88)90284-5
6. Sheffer MB, Greifenstein FE. The emotional responses of patients of surgery and anesthesia. Anesthesiology. 1960;21:502–7.
7. Fung D, Cohen MM. Measuring patient satisfaction with anesthesia care: A review of current methodology. Anesth Analg. 1998;87:1089–98.
8. Bell DM, Halliburton JR, Preston JC. An evaluation of anesthesia patient satisfaction instruments. AANA J. 2004;72:211–7.
9. Cleary PD, Edgman-Levitan S, Roberts M, Moloney TW, McMullen W, Walker JD, et al. Patients evaluate their hospital care: A national survey. Health Aff (Millwood) 1991;10:254–67.
10. Cronbach, L.J. Coefficient alpha and the internal structure of tests. Psychometrika 16, 297–334 (1951). https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02310555
11. Fung D, Cohen MM. Measuring patient satisfaction with anesthesia care: a review of current methodology. Anesth Analg. 1998 Nov;87(5):1089-98. doi: 10.1097/00000539-199811000-00020. PMID: 9806687.
12. Alshehri AA, Alomar YM, Mohammed GA, Al-Fozan MS, Al-Harbi MS, Alrobai KA, Zahoor H. A survey on postanesthetic patient satisfaction in a university hospital. Saudi J Anaesth. 2015 Jul-Sep;9(3):303-5. doi: 10.4103/1658-354X.158499. PMID: 26240551; PMCID: PMC4478825.
13. Samion Shabashev, Yasser Fouad, T. Kate Huncke & J. Thomas Roland (2017): Cochlear implantation under conscious sedation with local anesthesia; Safety, Efficacy, Costs, and Satisfaction, Cochlear Implants International, DOI: 10.1080/14670100.2017.1376423.
14. Andemeskel, Y.M., Elsholz, T., Gebreyohannes, G. et al. Patient satisfaction with peri-operative anesthesia care and associated factors at two National Referral Hospitals: a cross sectional study in Eritrea. BMC Health Serv Res 19, 669 (2019). https://doi.org/10.1186/s12913-019-4499-x
15. Atsedu Endale Simegn, Debas Yaregal Melesse, Yosef Belay Bizuneh, Wudie Mekonnen Alemu, "Patient Satisfaction Survey on Perioperative Anesthesia Service in University of Gondar Comprehensive Specialized Hospital, Northwest Ethiopia, 2021", Anesthesiology Research and Practice, vol. 2021, Article ID 3379850, 7 pages, 2021. https://doi.org/10.1155/2021/3379850
16. Alnashri Y M, Alfaqih O Y, Buhaliyqh M A, et al. (January 16, 2023) Patient Satisfaction and Its Predictors With Perioperative Anesthesia Care at Two General Hospitals in Southwestern Saudi Arabia. Cureus 15(1): e33824. DOI 10.7759/cureus.33824
17. P S Myles, D L Williams, M Hendrata, H Anderson, A M Weeks, Patient satisfaction after anaesthesia and surgery: results of a prospective survey of 10,811 patients., BJA: British Journal of Anaesthesia, Volume 84, Issue 1, Jan 2000, Pages 6–10, https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.bja.a013383
18. Capuzzo M, Landi F, Bassani A, et al. Emotional and interpersonal factors are most important for patient satisfaction with anaesthesia. Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 2005;49:735–42
19. Sauaia A, Min S-J, Leber C, et al. Postoperative pain management in elderly patients: correlation between adherence to treatment guidelines and patient satisfaction. J Am Geriatr Soc 2005;53:274–82.
20. Whitty PM, Shaw IH, Goodwin DR. Patient satisfaction with general anaesthesia. Too difficult to measure? Anaesthesia 1996;51:327–32
21. Heidegger T, Husemann Y, Nuebling M, et al. Patient satisfaction with anaesthesia care: development of a psychometric questionnaire and benchmarking among six hospitals in Switzerland and Austria. Br J Anaesth 2002;89:863–72.
22. Auquier P, Pernoud N, Bruder N, et al. Development and validation of a perioperative satisfaction questionnaire. Anesthesiology 2005;102:1116–23.
23. Capuzzo M, Gilli G, Paparella L, et al. Factors predictive of patient satisfaction with anesthesia. Anesth Analg