Main Article Content
Traditional use, Cannabis sativa, Ficus carica, Dodonea viscosa, Phytochemical composition, Antibacterial activit
The traditional use of Cannabis sativa, Ficus carica and Dodonea viscosa in local medications to offset the bacterial infections. This study analysed phytochemical composition of medicinal plants leaves extracts in aqueous, acetone and methanol solvent. Antibacterial activity of extracts was assayed against 6 bacterial species Staphylococcus aureus, Bacillus cereus, Bacillus pumilus, Streptococcus spp., Salmonella typhi and Acetobacter spp. through the disk diffusion method. Antibacterial potential of extracts is explainable on bases of phytochemical composition as ethanolic extract strongly inhibits bacterial growth. Minimum inhibitory concentration (MIC) performed for ethanolic extract of Cannabis sativa at various concentrations of dilutions. In vitro antiproliferative potential was determined by MTT assay [3-(4,5-dimethylthiazol-2-yl)-2,5-diphenyltetrazolium bromide] on HeLa cell lines. Confluent monolayers of cells were used to test the cytotoxicity ethanolic extracts. ELISA reader calculated optical densities at 570 nm to measure the cell survival percentage and EC50. A dose dependent curve was obtained by plotting concentration of dose and cell viability. These findings promote the discovery of active compounds that might serve as lead molecules in the creation of novel antibacterial and antiproliferative medications.
2. Abubakar, A. R. and Haque, M. 2020. Preparation of medicinal plants: Basic extraction and fractionation procedures for experimental purposes. Journal of Pharmacy and Bioallied Sciences, 12(1): 1-2.
3. Ahmed, M., Ji, M., Qin, P., Gu, Z., Liu, Y., Sikandar, A. and Javeed, A. 2019. Phytochemical screening, total phenolic and flavonoids contents and antioxidant activities of Citrullus colocynthis L. and Cannabis sativa L. Appl. Ecol. Environ. Res, 17(3): 6961-6979.
4. AlGhalban, F. M., Khan, A. A. and Khattak, M. N. K. 2021. Comparative anticancer activities of Ficus carica and Ficus salicifolia latex in MDA-MB-231 cells. Saudi Journal of Biological Sciences, 28(6): 3225 - 3234.
5. Al-Manhel, A. J. and Niamah, A. K. 2015. Effect of aqueous and alcoholic plant extracts on inhibition of some types of microbes and causing spoilage of food. Pakistan Journal of Food Sciences,25 (3): 104-109.
6. Anceschi, L., Codeluppi, A., Brighenti, V., Tassinari, R., Taglioli, V., Marchetti, L. and Pellati, F. 2022. Chemical characterization of non‐psychoactive Cannabis sativa L. extracts, in vitro antiproliferative activity and induction of apoptosis in chronic myelogenous leukaemia cancer cells. Phytotherapy Research, 36(2): 914 - 927.
7. Ashraf, K., Halim, H., Lim, S. M., Ramasamy, K. and Sultan, S. 2020. In vitro antioxidant, antimicrobial and antiproliferative studies of four different extracts of Orthosiphon stamineus, Gynura procumbens and Ficus deltoidea. Saudi Journal of Biological Sciences, 27(1): 417-432.
8. Ayoub, L., Hassan, F., Hamid, S., Abdelhamid, Z., and Souad, A. 2019. Phytochemical screening, antioxidant activity and inhibitory potential of Ficus carica and Olea europaea leaves. Bioinformation, 15(3): 2 - 26.
9. Azwanida, N. N. 2015. A revision on the extraction methods used in medicinal plants, principle, strength and limitation. Med Aromat Plants, 4(196): 2167 - 0412.
10. Bouyahya, A., Bakri, Y., Et-Touys, A., Assemian, I. C. C., Abrini, J. and Dakka, N. 2018. In vitro antiproliferative activity of selected medicinal plants from the North-West of Morocco on several cancer cell lines. European Journal of Integrative Medicine, 1 (8): 23-29.
11. Choudhary, N., Siddiqui, M., Bi, S., and Khatoon, S. 2014. Variation in preliminary phytochemicals screening of Cannabis sativa L. leaf, stem and root. Int. J. Pharmacogn, 1 (4): 516-519.
12. Edeoga, H. O., Okwu, D. and Mbaebie, B. 2005. Phytochemical constituents of some Nigerian medicinal plants. African Journal of Biotechnology, 4 (7): 685 - 688.
13. Girish, H. V. and Satish, S. 2008. Antibacterial activity of important medicinal plants on human pathogenic bacteria-a comparative analysis. World Applied Sciences Journal, 5(3): 267-271.
14. Kaigongi, M. M. 2020. Chemosystematics, Antimicrobial and Antiproliferative Activities of the Kenyan Zanthoxylum Species and Dodonaea Viscosa Populations (Doctoral dissertation, University of Nairobi).
15. Kardong, D., Upadhyaya, S., and Saikia, L. R. 2013. Screening of phytochemicals, antioxidant and antibacterial activity of crude extract of Pteridium aquilinum Kuhn.Journal of Pharmacy Research, 6 (1): 179-182.
16. Kimani, P. M., Mwitari, P. G., Mwenda Njagi, S., Gakio Kirira, P., and Kiboi, D. M. 2018. In vitro anti-proliferative activity of selected plant extracts against cervical and prostate cancer cell lines. Journal of Cancer Science and Therapy, 10 (9): 1-2.
17. Mahmood, N., Nazir, R., Khan, M., Khaliq, A., Adnan, M., Ullah, M., & Yang, H. (2019). Antibacterial activities, phytochemical screening and metal analysis of medicinal plants: traditional recipes used against diarrhea. Antibiotics, 8(4), 194.
18. Mehreen, R., Waseem, R., Minhas, U., Khatoon, N., Ali, A., Younas, S., ... & Sohail, H. (2023). Isolation and Characterization of Alpha-amylase Producing Bacillus Stearothermophilus from Banana. Journal of Survey in Fisheries Sciences, 10(3S), 6478-6488.
19. Minhas, U. (2023). Identification of Antibacterial and Antioxidant Activity of Syzigium Cumini Leaves Extracted Essential Oil Against Diarrhoea. Tobacco Regulatory Science (TRS), 1839-1847.
20. Moccia, S., Siano, F., Russo, G. L., Volpe, M. G., La Cara, F., Pacifico, S. and Picariello, G. 2020. Antiproliferative and antioxidant effect of polar hemp extracts (Cannabis sativa L., Fedora cv.) in human colorectal cell lines. International Journal of Food Sciences and Nutrition, 71 (4): 410 - 423.
21. Moradi, M. T., Karimi, A. and Alidadi, S. (2016). In vitro antiproliferative and apoptosis-inducing activities of crude ethyle alcohole extract of Quercus brantii L. acorn and subsequent fractions. Chinese Journal of Natural Medicines, 14(3): 196-202.
22. Muhammad, M. D., Sohail, H., Tariq, H., Jahangir, M., Rehmat, S., Akhtar, M., ... & Saleem, F. (2023). Preparation Of Citrus Paradisi Vinegar From Varieties And Its Antioxidant And Nutritional Analysis. Journal of Survey in Fisheries Sciences, 3305-3312.
23. Odebiyi, O. O. and Sofowora, E. A. 1978. Phytochemical screening of Nigerian medicinal plants II. Lloydia, 41 (3): 234-246.
24. Packialakshmi, B. and Sowndriya, S. R. 2019. In vitro analysis. International Journal Current Research and Review, 11 (11): 18-19.
25. Penesyan, A., Paulsen, I. T., Kjelleberg, S., & Gillings, M. R. (2021). Three faces of biofilms: A microbial lifestyle, a nascent multicellular organism, and an incubator for diversity. npj Biofilms and Microbiomes, 7(1): 1-9.
26. Raphael, E. 2012. Phytochemical constituents of some leaves extract of Aloe vera and Azadirachta indica plant species. Global Advanced Research Journal of Environmental Science and Toxicology, 1(2): 14 - 17.
27. Riaz, T., Abbasi, A. M., Shahzadi, T., Ajaib, M., and Khan, M. K. 2012. Phytochemical screening, free radical scavenging, antioxidant activity and phenolic content of Dodonaea viscosa. Journal of the Serbian Chemical Society, 77 (4): 423 - 435.
28. Santhi, K., & Sengottuvel, R. (2016). Qualitative and quantitative phytochemical analysis of Moringa concanensis Nimmo. International Journal of Current Microbiology and Applied Sciences, 5 (1): 633-640.
29. Sheel, R., Nisha, K. and Kumar, J. 2014. Preliminary phytochemical screening of methanolic extract of Clerodendron infortunatum. IOSR Journal of Applied Chemistry, 7(1): 10-13.
30. Sohail, H. (2023). In Vitro Antibacterial Approach of Syzigium Cumini Leaves Extract against Diarrhea Causing Bacteria by Using Different Biochemical Test. Tobacco Regulatory Science (TRS), 1526-1541.
31. Talib, W. H. and Mahasneh, A. M. 2010. Antiproliferative activity of plant extracts used against cancer in traditional medicine. Scientia Pharmaceutica, 78(1): 33-46.
32. Tauchen, J., Doskocil, I., Caffi, C., Lulekal, E., Marsik, P., Havlik, J. and Kokoska, L. 2015. In vitro antioxidant and anti-proliferative activity of Ethiopian medicinal plant extracts. Industrial Crops and Products, 7(4): 671-679.
33. Yadav, R. N. S., and Agarwala, M. 2011. Phytochemical analysis of some medicinal plants. Journal of Phytology, 3(12): 3-4.
34. Yahaya, U., Lawal, M. S., Abubakar, S., Adeyemi, S. R., Idris, R. A., & Saad, F. I. (2020). Phytochemical Screening of Some Selected Nigerian Medicinal Plants. International Journal of Bioorganic Chemistry, 5(1), 1.