Main Article Content
Fragaria× ananassa, Gibberellin, Photoperiod, reproductive growth
Strawberry is one of the most economical and nutritious fruit. As we know that worlds population is enhancing day by day and need of food is increasing day by day, thus we need to grow more from limited area. To achieve that we need to change our cultivation system and to think beyond than just fertilizer application. Therefore a study was conducted at research area of Horticulture Department, Pir Mehr Ali Shah Arid Agriculture University Rawalpindi during 2017–2018. The experiment was comprised of four different treatments: untreated, 150, 300 and 450 ppm gibberellic acid, and four different environments were created as open field (E1), plastic tunnel (E2), glass house (E3) and lath house (E4). Growth regulator (GA3) was applied with different concentration at vegetative phase i.e. before flowering. Strawberry cultivar “Chandler” was selected for this study, Twenty one plants per treatment were selected to investigate the impact of plant growth regulators on reproductive growth, yield and chemical attributes of strawberries under four environments. The study was comprised of pre and post-harvest reproductive growth and the fruit quality parameters. Throughout the research, the plants treated with gibberellic acid @ 450 ppm had a prominent effect on the reproductive parameters (days taken to flowering, number of flowers, number of trusses, fruit set percentage), quality parameters (TSS, Titratable acidity, and ascorbic acid) also responded positively. The current research concluded that the application of gibberellic acid at concentration 450 ppm in strawberry crop reacted for better flower stimulation, flower numbers and quality features while for maximum fruits production and improved quality, the lath house (E4) showed better results. It was perceived that the treatments of gibberellic acid induced early reproductive growth.
2. Avidov, H. A., E. E. Goldschmidt & N. Kedar. (1977). Involvement of endogenous gibberellins in the chilling requirements of strawberry (Fragaria ananassa Duch.). Annual Botany, 41, 927-936.
3. Ayub, M., Ullah, J., Muhammad, A., & Zeb, A. (2010). Evaluation of strawberry juice preserved with chemical preservatives at refrigeration temperature. International Journal of Nutrition and Metabolism, 2(2), 027-032.
4. Cummings, J. N. (1994). Register of new fruit and nut varieties. Brooks and Olmo, List Berry anthocyanins as novel antioxidants in human health and disease prevention. Molecular nutrition & food research, 51, 675-683.
5. El-Shabasi, M. S. S., M. E. Ragab, I. I. El-Oksh & Y. M. M. Osman. (2009). Response of strawberry plants to some growth regulators. Acta Horticulturae, 842, 725-728.
6. FAO. Food and Agriculture Organization of United Nations, Statistics Division, (2010).
7. Fujime, Y. & Yamasaki. (1988). Effect of pretreatment, day length and temperature on induction and breakage of dormancy in strawberry plants. Journal-Japanese Society for Horticulture Science, 56, 444-451.
8. Jett, W. L., (2006). Growing strawberries in high tunnel in Missouri: http://extesion.usu.edu/files/publications/publication/H_G_HighTunnels_2008-01pr.pdf.
9. Kappel, F. R., & A. MacDonald. (2007). Early Gibberellic Acid Sprays Increase Firmness and Fruit Size of 'Sweetheart' Sweet Cherry. Journal of the American Pomological Society, 61(1), 38-43.
10. Kasim, A. T. M., Abd-El-Hameid, A. M., & El-Greadly, N. H. M. (2007). A comparison study on the effect of some treatment on earliness, yield and quality of Globe Artichoke (Cynare scolymus L.). Research Journal of Agriculture Biological Science, 3(6), 695-700.
11. Khushk, A. M., & A. Memon. (2009). Strawberry cultivation. Pakistan.com. The Dwan, p. 1-5.
12. Kumra, R., Reena, S. S., Bakshi, P., Kumar, A., Singh, M., & Kumar, V. (2018). Influence of plant growth regulators on strawberry: A review. International Journal of Chemical Studies, 6(1), 1236-1239.
13. Lee, B. Y., K. Takahashi & T. Sugiyama. (1970). Studies on dormancy in strawberry plants. Vegetative and flowering response of donor variety transferred from open to green house at different dates in autumn and winter. Journal Japan Society of Horticulture Science, 39(2), 26-32.
14. Lieten, F., J. M. Kinet & G. Bernier. (1995). Effect of prolonged cold-storage on the production capacity of strawberry plants. Science Horticulture, 60(1), 213–219.
15. Lolaei, A., Kaviani, B., Raad, M. K., Rezaei, M. A., & Maghsoudi, M. (2012). Effect of paclobutrazol and salinity on vegetative and sexual growth and fruit Quality of strawberry (Fragaria× Ananassa Duch. cv. Selva). Annals of Biological Research, 3(10), 4663-4667.
16. Mabood. (1994). The future prospects of strawberry production in Pakistan. Advisory leaflet, 17 (2), 51-52.
17. Malik, M. N., & Bashir, E. (1994). Horticulture: National Book Foundation. Islamabad, Pakistan, 633.
18. National Research Council. (1989). Food and Nutrition Board. National Academy of Sciences.
19. Ouzounidou, G., I. IIias, A. Giannakoula & P. Papadopoulou. (2010). Comparative study on the effects of various plant growth regulators on growth, quality and physiology of (capsicum annum L). Pakistan Journal of Botany., 42 (2), 805-814.
20. Paroussi, G., Voyiatzis, D. G., Paroussis, E., & Drogoudi, P. D. (2002). Growth, flowering and yield responses to GA3 of strawberry grown under different environmental conditions. Scientia Horticulturae, 96(1-4), 103-113.
21. Paroussi, G., Voyiatzis, D. G., Paroussis, E., & Drogoudi, P. D. (2000, July). Effect of GA3 and photoperiod regime on growth and flowering in strawberry. In IV International Strawberry Symposium 567, 273-276.
22. Phillips, D & A. Reid. (2008). High and low tunnels in strawberry production- trial results for 2005, 2006 and 2007. Strawberry growers association west Australia.
23. Rawley, D., B. Black & D, Drost. (2010). High tunnel strawberry production.Horticulture/HighTunnels/2010-01pr.
24. Sharma, R. R., & R. singh. (2009a). GA3 influences incidence of fruit malformation, berry yield and fruit quality in strawberry (Fragaria ananassa Duch.). Acta Horticulture, 1(842), 737-740.
25. Sharma, R. R., & Singh, R. (2009b). Gibberellic acid influences the production of malformed and button berries, and fruit yield and quality in strawberry (Fragaria× ananassa Duch.). Scientia Horticulturae, 119(4), 430-433.
26. Singh, A. K. A. T. H., & Singh, J. N. (2006). Studies on influence of biofertilizers and bioregulators on flowering, yield and fruit quality of strawberry cv. sweet Charlie. Annals of Agricultural Research, 27(3).
27. Steel, R. G. D., J. H. Torrie & M. A. Boston. 1997. Principle and procedure of statistic: A biometrical approach. 3rd addition, McGraw Hill Book Company Inc. New York. 633 pp.
28. Sung, S., & R. M. Amasino. (2004). Vernalization and epigenetics: how plants remember winter. Current opinion in plant biology, 7, 4-10.
29. Tafazoli, E., & Vince-Prue, D. (1978). A Comparison of the Effects of Long Days and Exogenous Growth Regulators on Growth and Flowering in Strawberry (Fragaria Ananassa Duch). Journal of Horticultural Science, 53(4), 255-259.
30. Takahashi, N., B. O. Phinney., & J. MacMillan. (1991). Gibberellins Springer-Verlag, Berlin.
31. Tehranifar, A. & N. H. Battey. (1997). Comparison of the effects of GA3 and chilling on vegetative vigour and fruit set in strawberry. Acta Horticulturae, 409, 629-630.
32. Uddin, A. J., Hossan, M. J., Islam, M. S., Ahsan, M. K., & Mehraj, H. (2012). Strawberry growth and yield responses to gibberellic acid concentrations. Journal of Experimental Bioscience, 3, 51-56.
33. Veltman, R. H., Kho, R. M., Van Schaik, A. C. R., Sanders, M. G., & Oosterhaven, J. (2000). Ascorbic acid and tissue browning in pears (Pyrus communis L. cvs Rocha and Conference) under controlled atmosphere conditions. Postharvest Biology and Technology, 19(2), 129-137.
34. Vishal, V., Thippesha, D., Basavraj, A., Vinay, S., & Chethana, K. (2017). Effect of different plant growth regulators on yield and quality parameters on strawberry (Fragaria x ananassa Duch.). Research in Environment and Life Sciences, 10(5), 461-463.
35. Vishal, V., Thippesha, D., Chethana, K., Maheshgowda, B., Veeresha, B. & Basavraj, A. (2016) Effect of Various Growth Regulators on Vegetative parameters of strawberry (Fragaria x ananassa Duch.) Cv. Sujatha. Journal of Chemical and Environmental Sciences, 4 (4), 68-71.