Main Article Content
mouthguard, schoolchildren, sports injuries, orofacial trauma
Aim: To evaluate children's attitude towards mouthguard utilization among the school children.
Methods: This cross-sectional study was conducted among children between 8 to 16 years of both genders in students attending the school in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. A structural questionnaire was prepared, consisting of the questions related to the demographic details, attitude, and conception of the children toward using a mouthguard. The questionnaire was sent to the school teachers to distribute among the respective school children. Descriptive statistics were used to analyse the data.
Results: A total of 1116 children completed the survey form, of which 488 were females and 628 males. The prevalence of mouthguard use among Saudi school children was found to be 3.32%. Out of the total study subjects, 72.68% of the subjects believed that mouthguards could protect them from injuries. The most common reason for not wearing mouthguards was that they never thought about it (38.47), children felt not necessary (30.58%), being expensive(11.02%), and 19.93% of subjects never had any injury. Out of 37, 2 subjects never experienced problems with the mouthguards. The most common problems with mouthguards were Difficulty in speech, being uncomfortable and expensive, followed by interference with breathing
Conclusion: Prevalence of mouthguard use was 3.32% in Saudi school children aged between 8-16 years. The most common reason for not using it was a lack of knowledge. Counseling the young children interested in sports activities is the need of an hour.
2. Watts G, Woolard A, Singer CE. Functional mouth protectors for contact sports. JADA 1954; 49(1):7-11.
3. Hickey JC, Morris AL, Carlson LD, Seward TE. The relation of mouth protectors to cranial pressure and deformation. JADA 1967; 74(4):735-740.
4. Takahashi M, Koide K, Mizuhashi F. Influence of color difference of mouthguard sheet on thickness after forming. J Prosthodont Res 2012; 56(3):194-203.
5. Eilert-Petersson E, Andersson L, So¨rensen S. Traumatic oral vs non-oral injuries. An epidemiological study during one year in a Swedish county. Swed Dent J 1997; 21:55–68.
6. Magunacelaya MB, Glendor U. Surfing for mouth guards: assessing quality of online information. Dent Traumatol. 2011 Oct;27(5):334-43.
7. Matalon V, Brin I, Moskovitz M, Ram D. compliance of children and youngsters in the use of mouth guard. Dent tramatol.2008 Aug;24(4):462
8. Fakhruddin KS, Lawrence HP, Kenny DJ, Locker D. Use of mouthguards among 12- to 14-year-old Ontario schoolchildren. J Can Dent Assoc. 2007; 73:505.J Popul Ther Clin Pharmacol Vol 28(2):e1–e6; 04 December 2021.
This article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-Non Commercial 4.0 International License. ©2021 Muslim OT et al.
9. Ramagoni NK, Shetty YR, Hegde AM. Do our children play safe? J ClinPediatr Dent. 2007; 31:160–3.
10. Sethi HS, Kaur G, Mangat SS, Gupta A, Singh I, Munjal D. Attitude toward mouthguard utilization among North Indian school children. J IntSocPrev Community Dent. 2016; 6(1):69-74.
11. Pribble JM, Maio RF, Freed GL. Parental perceptions regarding mandatory mouthguard use in competitive youth soccer. Inj Prev. 2004;10:159–62.
12. Galic T, Kuncic D, Pericic TP, Galic I,Mihanovic F,Bozic J,et al. Knowledge and attitudes about sports-related dental injuries and mouthguard use in young athletes in four different contact sports—water polo, karate, taekwondo and handball. Dental traumatology 2018; 34(3): 135-213
13. O'MalleyM, Evans, DS, Hewson A, Owens J. Mouthguard use and dental injury in sport: a questionnaire study of national school children in the west of Ireland. Journal of the Irish Dental Association 58(4): 205-211.
14. Biagi R, Cardarelli F, Butti AC, Salvato A. Sports-related dental injuries: Knowledge of first aid and mouthguard use in a sample of Italian children and youngsters. Eur J Paediatr Dent. 2010; 11:66–70.
15. Perunski S, Lang B, Pohl Y, Filippi A. Level of information concerning dental Injuries and their prevention in Swiss basketball--a survey among players and coaches. Dent Traumatol. 2005; 21:195–200.
16. Yadiki J, Alshammari NTT, Awareness and Utilization of Mouthguards – An Overview. Saudi Journal of Oral and Dental Research. June 2019; 4(6): 359-365.