ASSOCIATIONS OF DURATION, INTENSITY, AND QUANTITY OF SMOKING WITH RISK OF GASTRIC

Main Article Content

Moeen Akhtar Malik
Wajid Iqbal
Younas Ahmad
Rukhsar Muhammad Jaffar
Atta Ul Haq Burki
Abdul Wasaay Khurram

Keywords

Gastric intestinal metaplasia, tobacco, gastric cancer, Quantity of Smoking

Abstract

Objectives: To investigate the associations between smoking habits (duration, intensity, and quantity) and the risk of developing GIM.


Materials and Methods:  For this cross-sectional study, we enrolled 180 patients of both genders. Among them, 69 individuals presented with GIM, while 111 participants served as controls without GIM. Each participant completed standardized questionnaires and underwent a study endoscopy, including gastric mapping biopsies. The diagnosis of GIM was confirmed by identifying intestinal metaplasia in any non-cardia gastric biopsy. The study duration was 6 month from (August, 2023 to January, 2024) and was conducted at Pakistan Institute of Medical Sciences Hospital Islamabad.


Results: The mean age of all enrolled 102 patients was 46.08±11.7 years with mean BMI of 25.46±5.13 kg/m2. Among the participants, 62 (60.8%) were male, while the remaining 40 (39.2%) were female. Current smokers showed a twofold increased risk for gastric intestinal metaplasia compared to those who never smoked (odds ratio [OR] 2.452, 95% confidence interval [CI] 1.23-3.64). Additionally, among individuals with a history of smoking, both increasing duration and total dose were significantly linked to a higher risk of developing gastric intestinal metaplasia. However, among former smokers, the risk of gastric intestinal metaplasia declined progressively over time, reaching a level comparable to that of never smokers after 15 years of smoking cessation.


Conclusion: The study concluded that there is strong association between the associations between smoking habits (duration, intensity, and quantity) and the risk of developing GIM.

Abstract 128 | Pdf Downloads 27

References

1. Huang RJ, Choi AY, Truong CD, Yeh MM, Hwang JH. Diagnosis and management of gastric intestinal metaplasia: current status and future directions. Gut and Liver. 2019;13(6):596.
2. Nguyen TH, Tan MC, Liu Y, Rugge M, Thrift AP, El-Serag HB. Prevalence of gastric intestinal metaplasia in a multiethnic US veterans population. Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology. 2021;19(2):269-76. e3.
3. Praud D, Rota M, Pelucchi C, Bertuccio P, Rosso T, Galeone C, et al. Cigarette smoking and gastric cancer in the Stomach Cancer Pooling (StoP) Project. European Journal of Cancer Prevention. 2018;27(2):124-33.
4. Li W-Y, Han Y, Xu H-M, Wang Z-N, Xu Y-Y, Song Y-X, et al. Smoking status and subsequent gastric cancer risk in men compared with women: a meta-analysis of prospective observational studies. BMC cancer. 2019;19:1-12.
5. Tan MC, Mallepally N, Liu Y, El-Serag HB, Thrift AP. Demographic and lifestyle risk factors for gastric intestinal metaplasia among US veterans. Official journal of the American College of Gastroenterology| ACG. 2020;115(3):381-7.
6. Russo A, Maconi G, Spinelli P, Di Felice G, Eboli M, Andreola S, et al. Effect of lifestyle, smoking, and diet on development of intestinal metaplasia in H. pylori-positive subjects. The American journal of gastroenterology. 2001;96(5):1402-8.
7. Stemmermann G, Nomura A, Chyou P-H, Hankin J. Impact of diet and smoking on risk of developing intestinal metaplasia of the stomach. Digestive diseases and sciences. 1990;35:433-8.
8. Humans IWGotEoCRt, Organization WH, Cancer IAfRo. Tobacco smoke and involuntary smoking: Iarc; 2004.
9. Trédaniel J, Boffetta P, Buiatti E, Saracci R, Hirsch A. Tobacco smoking and gastric cancer: review and meta‐analysis. International journal of cancer. 1997;72(4):565-73.
10. Kim N, Park YS, Cho SI, Lee HS, Choe G, Kim IW, et al. Prevalence and risk factors of atrophic gastritis and intestinal metaplasia in a Korean population without significant gastroduodenal disease. Helicobacter. 2008;13(4):245-55.
11. Kneller RW, You W-C, Chang Y-S, Liu W-D, Zhang L, Zhao L, et al. Cigarette smoking and other risk factors for progression of precancerous stomach lesions. JNCI: Journal of the National Cancer Institute. 1992;84(16):1261-6.
12. Jarosz M, Dzieniszewski J, Dabrowska-Ufniarz E, Wartanowicz M, Ziemlanski S. Tobacco smoking and vitamin C concentration in gastric juice in healthy subjects and patients with Helicobacter pylori infection. European journal of cancer prevention. 2000;9(6):423-8.
13. Pohle T, Brzozowski T, Becker J, Van der Voort I, Markmann A, Konturek S, et al. Role of reactive oxygen metabolites in aspirin‐induced gastric damage in humans: gastroprotection by vitamin C. Alimentary pharmacology & therapeutics. 2001;15(5):677-87.
14. Zhang ZW, Farthing MJ. The roles of vitamin C in Helicobacter pylori associated gastric carcinogenesis. Chinese journal of digestive diseases. 2005;6(2):53-8.

Most read articles by the same author(s)