Main Article Content
Introduction: Orthopedic surgery, with a specific focus on traumatology, plays a pivotal role in restoring musculoskeletal function and improving the quality of life for patients who have experienced traumatic injuries.
Objectives: The basic aim of the study is to find the complications and revision surgery in orthopedics focusing on traumatology.
Material and methods: This retrospective cohort study was conducted in DHQ Hospital Timergara Lower Dir KPK during January 2023 to June 2023. .Data collection for this retrospective cohort study, which focused on complications and revision surgery in orthopedics, particularly in the field of traumatology, followed a systematic approach and was completed over a defined period. The primary data source utilized was the electronic health records (EHRs) which provided comprehensive patient records for the study.
Results: In this study of 480 participants undergoing orthopedic traumatology procedures, we observed a diverse range of demographic characteristics and injury profiles. The mean age of participants was 42.5 years, with a slightly higher representation of males (65%). The predominant traumatic injury type was fractures, accounting for 60% of cases, followed by dislocations (25%) and soft tissue injuries (15%). The anatomical distribution revealed a higher prevalence of injuries in the upper extremities (40%), followed by lower extremities (30%), spine (20%), and pelvis/hip (10%). These findings align with the clinical reality of orthopedic traumatology, reflecting the varied nature of musculoskeletal injuries encountered across age groups.
Conclusion: It is concluded that complications and revision surgeries play a crucial role in patient management, with age being a significant factor in postoperative complications. These findings have clinical implications, emphasizing the need for tailored approaches to address complications and optimize patient outcomes in traumatology-focused orthopedics.
2. Gosens, T., & den Oudsten, B. L. (2023). Psychology in orthopedics and traumatology: an instructional review. EFORT Open Reviews, 8(5), 245.
3. Halm-Pozniak, A., Lohmann, C. H., Zagra, L., Braun, B., Gordon, M., & Grimm, B. (2023). Best practice in digital orthopaedics. EFORT Open Reviews, 8(5), 283.
4. Tischer, T., Condello, V., Menetrey, J., Dejour, D., Beaufils, P., & Becker, R. (2022). Time to focus on ACL revision: ESSKA 2022 consensus. Knee Surgery, Sports Traumatology, Arthroscopy, 1-2.
5. Peretsmanas, E. O., Tyulkova, T. E., Zubikov, V. S., Gerasimov, I. A., & Kaminsky, G. D. (2023). Human Immunodeficiency Virus in the Focus of Bone Tissue Destruction in Patients With Aseptic Osteonecrosis of the Femoral Head: Two Case Reports. Traumatology and Orthopedics of Russia, 29(3), 94-101.
6. Raux, S., Ducrot, C., Marec-Bérard, P., Corradini, N., Claude, L., Dijoud, F., ... &Chotel, F. (2023). Epiphyseal-sparing biological reconstruction of bone sarcoma in children: Focus on articular function and growth. Orthopaedics & Traumatology: Surgery & Research, 109(3), 103540.
7. Xará-Leite, F., Pereira, A. D., Andrade, R., Sarmento, A., Sousa, R., Ayeni, O. R., ... & Soares, D. (2021). The cement-in-cement technique is a reliable option in hip arthroplasty revision surgery: a systematic review. European Journal of Orthopaedic Surgery & Traumatology, 31, 7-22.
8. Boble, M., Le Nail, L. R., &Brilhault, J. (2022). Impact of preoperative varus on ankle replacement survival. Orthopaedics & Traumatology: Surgery & Research, 108(7), 103390.
9. Mainard, N., &Canavese, F. (2023). News in paediatric orthopaedic surgery: an overview of the latest advances in paediatric orthopaedics and traumatology (2020–2023). International Orthopaedics, 1-11.
10. Favreau, H., Ehlinger, M., Adam, P., &Bonnomet, F. (2020). Total hip arthroplasty with exclusive use of dual-mobility cup after failure of internal fixation in trochanteric fracture. Orthopaedics & Traumatology: Surgery & Research, 106(4), 645-649.
11. Emet, A., Yilmaz, E. T., Danisman, M., Aksoy, C., & Yilmaz, G. (2023). Fixation techniques in lower extremity correction osteotomies and fractures in mild-to-severe osteogenesis imperfecta patients: evaluation of the results and complications. Journal of Orthopaedic Surgery and Research, 18(1), 1-6.
12. Dahm, F., Aichmair, A., Dominkus, M., &Hofstaetter, J. G. (2021). Incidence of lateral femoral cutaneous nerve lesions after direct anterior approach primary total hip arthroplasty–a literature review. Orthopaedics & Traumatology: Surgery & Research, 107(8), 102956.
13. Pressato, D., Battista, A., Govoni, M., Vivarelli, L., Dallari, D., & Pellegrini, A. (2023). The Intraoperative Use of Defensive Antibacterial Coating (DAC®) in the Form of a Gel to Prevent Peri-Implant Infections in Orthopaedic Surgery: A Clinical Narrative Review. Materials, 16(15), 5304.
14. Lind, M., Seil, R., Dejour, D., Becker, R., Menetrey, J., & Ross, M. (2020). Creation of a specialist core curriculum for the European Society for Sports traumatology, Knee surgery and Arthroscopy (ESSKA). Knee surgery, sports traumatology, arthroscopy, 28, 3066-3079.
15. Lind, M., Seil, R., Dejour, D., Becker, R., Menetrey, J., & Ross, M. (2020). Creation of a specialist core curriculum for the European Society for Sports traumatology, Knee surgery and Arthroscopy (ESSKA). Knee surgery, sports traumatology, arthroscopy, 28, 3066-3079.
16. Mazaleyrat, M., Le Nail, L. R., Auberger, G., Biau, D., Rosset, P., Waast, D., ... &Vaz, G. (2020). Survival and complications in hinged knee reconstruction prostheses after distal femoral or proximal tibial tumor resection: a retrospective study of 161 cases. Orthopaedics & Traumatology: Surgery & Research, 106(3), 403-407.
17. Fiore, M., Sambri, A., Zucchini, R., Giannini, C., Donati, D. M., & De Paolis, M. (2021). Silver-coated megaprosthesis in prevention and treatment of peri-prosthetic infections: a systematic review and meta-analysis about efficacy and toxicity in primary and revision surgery. European Journal of Orthopaedic Surgery & Traumatology, 31, 201-220.
18. Dyrna, F., Berthold, D. P., Feucht, M. J., Muench, L. N., Martetschläger, F., Imhoff, A. B., ... &Beitzel, K. (2019). The importance of biomechanical properties in revision acromioclavicular joint stabilization: a scoping review. Knee Surgery, Sports Traumatology, Arthroscopy, 27, 3844-3855.
19. Patel, A. V., White, C. A., Cirino, C. M., Duey, A. H., Ranson, W. A., Gross, B. D., ... & Cagle, P. J. (2023). Mid-term outcomes following reverse total shoulder arthroplasty. European Journal of Orthopaedic Surgery & Traumatology, 1-9.
20. Miltenberg, B., Puzzitiello, R. N., Ruelos, V. C., Masood, R., Pagani, N. R., Moverman, M. A., ... & Drager, J. (2023). Incidence of Complications and Revision Surgery After High Tibial Osteotomy: A Systematic Review. The American Journal of Sports Medicine, 03635465221142868.