Main Article Content
autism spectrum disorder, parenting stress, courtesy stigma, sense of coherence, resilience, correlation.
Background: Raising a child is a big responsibility for the parents. The responsibility increases if the parents have a child with a developmental or intellectual disability like autism spectrum disorder, Down syndrome, ADHD.
Objective: The present study investigated the relationship between parenting stress, courtesy stigma, sense of coherence, and resilience in parents of children with autism spectrum disorder in Peshawar Khyber Pakhtunkhwa.
Method: A sample (N=100) was included in the study. Purposive sampling technique was used to select participants from different autism centers and hospitals in Peshawar. The parenting autism stress index, stigma indicator, short version of the sense of coherence, and the 14-item resilience scale were used to measure parenting stress, courtesy stigma, sense of coherence, and resilience among parents with autistic children.
Result: The Pearson correlation coefficient was applied which indicated the finding of the study that the correlation coefficient (r) value between autism parenting stress and resilience is -.500, (r) value between courtesy stigma and resilience is -.348 and (r) value between autism parenting stress and sense of coherence is -.476.
Conclusion: According to the consequence of this study, parenting stress is inversely correlated with resilience and a sense of coherence in parents with ASD children. It is also concluded that courtesy stigma is negatively correlated with resilience in parents with ASD children.
2. Alshaigi, K., Albraheem, R., Alsaleem, K., Zakaria, M., Jobeir, A., & Aldhalaan, H. (2020). Stigmatization Among Parents of Autism Spectrum Disorder Children in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. International Journal of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, 7(3), 140-146. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijpam.2019.06.003
3. Anwar, M. S., Tahir, M., Nusrat, K., & Khan, M. R. (2018). Knowledge, Awareness, and Perceptions regarding Autism among Parents in Karachi, Pakistan. Cureus, 10(9). DOI: 10.7759/cureus.3299
4. Bonis, S. (2016). Stress and Parents of Children with Autism: A review of literature. Issues in mental health nursing, 37(3), 153-163. DOI: 10.3109/01612840.2015.1116030
5. Dąbrowska, A. (2008). Sense of Coherence and Coping with Stress in Fathers of Children with Developmental Disabilities. Polish Psychological Bulletin, (1). DOI - 10.2478/v10059-008-0002-y
6. DePape, A. M., & Lindsay, S. (2015). Parents’ Experiences of Caring for a Child with Autism Spectrum Disorder. Qualitative health research, 25(4), 569-583.
7. Farrugia, D. (2009). Exploring Stigma: Medical Knowledge and the Stigmatisation of Parents of Children Diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder. Sociology of Health & Illness, 31(7), 1011-1027. Doi: 10.1111/j.1467-9566.2009. 01174.x
8. Fulambarkar, N. H. (2021). Predicting Resiliency in Caregivers of Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder: The Relationship of Trait Mindfulness to Affiliate Stigma (Doctoral dissertation, Palo Alto University). Doi:2849933
9. Ghanouni, P., & Eves, L. (2023). Resilience among Parents and Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder. Mental Illness, 2023. Doi:10.1155/2023/2925530
10. Hartini, P. K. N. (2020). The Relationship Between Sense of Coherence and Parenting Stress in Mothers of Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder. DOI: 10.5220/0008585700910096
11. Honore, N. C. (2021). Sense of Coherence Uplifting Parent Participation in Everyday Resilience (Supper): Applying Sense of Coherence Theory as an Intervention to Positively Influence Parental Well-Being and Family Occupational Identity within a Special Education Program (Doctoral dissertation, Boston University).
12. Ilias, K., Cornish, K., Kummar, A. S., Park, M. S. A., & Golden, K. J. (2018). Parenting Stress and Resilience in Parents of Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) in Southeast Asia: A systematic review. Frontiers in psychology, 9, 280. doi:10.3389/fpsyg.2018.00280
13. Imran, N., & Azeem, M. W. (2014). Autism Spectrum Disorders: Perspective from Pakistan. Comprehensive Guide to Autism. New York: Springer, 2483-2496. DOI 10.1007/978-1-4614-4788-7_152.
14. Ingersoll, B., & Hambrick, D. Z. (2011). The Relationship Between the Broader Autism Phenotype, Child severity, and Stress and Depression in Parents of Children with Autism Spectrum Disorders. Research in Autism Spectrum Disorders, 5(1), 337-344. Doi: 10.1016/j.rasd.2010.04.017
15. Ji, B., Jiang, X., & Luo, Y. (2022). Autistic Childrens Age Difference in Affiliate Stigma and Resilience of their Parents in China: A cross-sectional study. Archives of Psychiatric Nursing, 39, 7-12. Doi: 10.1016/j.apnu.2022.01.006
16. Kavaliotis, P. (2017). Investigation of the correlation of family resilience of parents with a child with autism spectrum disorders, parenting stress and social support. International Journal of Psychological Studies, 9(2), 1-15.Doi:10.5539/ijps.v9n2pl
17. Mak, W. W., Ho, A. H., & Law, R. W. (2007). Sense of coherence, parenting attitudes and stress among mothers of children with autism in Hong Kong. Journal of Applied Research in Intellectual Disabilities, 20(2), 157-167. doi:10.1111/j.1468-3148.2006.00315.x
18. McLean, S., & Halstead, E. J. (2021). Resilience and Stigma in Mothers of Children with Emotional and Behavioural Difficulties. Research in Developmental Disabilities, 108, 103818. Doi: 10.1016/j.ridd.2020.103818
19. Oelofsen, N., & Richardson, P. (2006). Sense of Coherence and Parenting Stress in Mothers and Fathers of Preschool Children with Developmental Disability. Journal of Intellectual and developmental Disability, 31(1), 1-12. DOI: 10.1080/13668250500349367
20. Olsson, M. B., & Hwang, C. P. (2002). Sense of coherence in parents of children with different developmental disabilities. Journal of Intellectual Disability Research, 46(7),
21. Omiya, T., Deguchi, N., Togari, T., & Yamazaki, Y. (2020). Factors Influencing Sense of Coherence: Family Relationships, high school life and Autism Spectrum Tendency. Children, 7(9), 108. doi:10.3390/children7090108
22. Pastor-Cerezuela, G., Fernández-Andrés, M. I., Pérez-Molina, D., & Tijeras-Iborra, A. (2021). Parental stress and resilience in autism spectrum disorder and Down syndrome. Journal of Family Issues, 42(1), 3-26. doi:10.1177/1088357615583471
23. Pisula, E., & Kossakowska, Z. (2010). Sense of coherence and coping with stress among mothers and fathers of children with autism. Journal of autism and developmental disorders, 40(12), 1485-1494. DOI 10.1007/s10803-010-1001-3
24. Plumb, J. C. (2011). The impact of social support and family resilience on parental stress in families with a child diagnosed with an autism spectrum disorder.
25. Reddy, G., Fewster, D. L., & Gurayah, T. (2019). Parents' voices: Experiences and Coping as a Parent of a Child with Autism Spectrum Disorder. South African Journal of Occupational Therapy, 49(1), 43-50. Doi:10.17159/2310-3833/2019/vol49n1a7
26. Silva, T., & Sandström, P. (2018). Parenting Difficult Children and Adolescents. Parenting: Empirical Advances and Intervention Resources, 59. DOI: 10.5772/67319
27. Sinha, D., Verma, N., & Hershe, D. (2016). A Comparative study of Parenting styles, Parental Stress and Resilience among Parents of Children having Autism Spectrum Disorder, Parents of Children having Specific Learning Disorder and Parents of Children not Diagnosed with any Psychiatric Disorder. Ann Int Med Dent Res, 2(4), 106-11. DOI: 10.21276/aimdr.2016.2.4.30
28. Vasilopoulou, E., & Nisbet, J. (2016). The Quality of life of Parents of Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder: A systematic review. Research in Autism Spectrum Disorders, 23, 36-49. Doi:10.1155/160783
29. Zhao, M., Fu, W., & Ai, J. (2021). The Mediating Role of Social Support in the Relationship Between Parenting Stress and Resilience among Chinese Parents of Children with Disability of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 51(10), 3412-3422. Doi:10.1007/s10803-020- 04806-8