Main Article Content
Pakistan, Nutritional, Federal Area
Vitamin D deficiency is a global health concern affecting children worldwide, including those residing in the Federal Area of Pakistan. This research article aims to investigate the nutritional status of children in this region and assess the prevalence of vitamin D deficiency among them. We conducted a cross-sectional study involving a sample of children aged 1 to 18 years. A total of 500 children aged 1 to 18 years were selected using a stratified random sampling technique. Data on dietary habits, sunlight exposure, anthropometric measurements, and serum vitamin D levels were collected. The results of this study underscore the urgent need for public health interventions to combat vitamin D deficiency in children in the Federal Area of Pakistan.
2. Beaumont P, Blake GH, Wagstaff JM. The Middle East: a geographical study. 2nd ed. London, England: David Fulton Publishers; 1998.
3. Holick M. Vitamin D: importance in the prevention of cancers, type 1 diabetes, heart disease, and osteoporosis. Am J Clin Nutr. 2004;79:362–71.
4. Pettifor JM. Nutritional rickets: deficiency of vitamin D, calcium, or both? Am J Clin Nutr. 2004;80(Suppl 6):1725S–9S.
5. Liberman UA. Vitamin D-resistant diseases. J Bone Miner Res. 2007;22(Suppl 2):V105–7.
6. Thacher T, Fischer P, Strand M, Pettifor J. Nutritional rickets around the world: causes and future directions. Ann Trop Paediatr. 2006;26:1–16.
7. Baroncelli G, Bereket A, El Kholy M, Audı` L, Cesur Y, Ozkan B,et al. Rickets in the Middle East: role of environment and genetic predisposition. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2008;93:1743–50.
8. 8. Lerch C, Meissner T. Interventions for the prevention of nutritional rickets in term born children. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2007;(4): CD006164.
9. 9. Underwood P, Margetts B. High levels of childhood rickets in rural North Yemen. Soc Sci Med. 1987;24:37–41.
10. 10. Awwaad S, Khalifa AS, Naga MA, Tolba KA, Fares R, Gaballa AS, et al. A field survey on child health in a rural community in Egypt. J Trop Med Hyg. 1975;78:20–5.
11. Lubani MM, Al-Shab TS, Al-Saleh QA, Sharda DC, Quattawi SA, Ahmed SA, et al. Vitamin-D-deficiency rickets in Kuwait:the prevalence of a preventable problem. Ann Trop Paediatr. 1989;9:134–9.
12. 12. Fida NM. Assessment of nutritional rickets in Western Saudi Arabia. Saudi Med J. 2003;24:337–40.
13. Ozkan B, Doneray H, Karacan M, Vanc¸elik S, Yildirim ZK, Ozkan A, et al. Prevalence of vitamin D deficiency rickets in the eastern part of Turkey. Eur J Pediatr. 2009;168(1):95–100.
14. Kimball S, El-Hajj Fuleihan G, Vieth R. Vitamin D: a growing perspective. Crit Rev Clin Lab Sci. 2008;45:339–415.
15. Abanamy A, Salman H, Cheriyan M, Shuja M, Siddrani S. Vitamin D deficiency in Riyadh. Ann Saudi Med. 1991;11:35–9.
16. Elidrissy ATH. Vitamin D-deficiency rickets in Saudi Arabia.In: Glorieux EH, editor. Rickets. Nestle nutrition workshop series, vol. 21. New York: Raven press; 1991. p. 223–31.
17. Ramavat LG. Vitamin D deficiency rickets at birth in Kuwait.Indian J Pediatr. 1999;66:37–43.
18. Najada AS, Mabashneh MS, Khader M. The frequency of nutritional rickets among hospitalized infants and its relation to respiratory diseases. J Trop Pediatr. 2004;50:364–8.
19. Taha SA, Dost SM, Sedrani SH. 25-Hydroxyvitamin D and total calcium: extraordinarily low plasma concentrations in Saudi mothers and their neonates. Pediatr Res. 1984;18:739–41.
20. Dawodu A, Agarwal M, Sankarankutty M, Hardy D, Kochiyil J, Badrinath P. Higher prevalence of vitamin D deficiency in mothers of rachitic than nonrachitic children. J Pediatr.2005;147:109–11.
21. Hatun S, Ozkan B, Orbak Z, Doneray H, Cizmecioglu F, Toprak D, et al. Vitamin D deficiency in early infancy. J Nutr. 2005;135:279–82.
22. Amirhakimi GH. Rickets in a developing country: observations of general interest from Southern Iran. Clin Pediatr. 1973;12:88–92.
23. Nagi NA. Vitamin D deficiency rickets in malnourished children. J Trop Med Hyg. 1972;75:251–4.
24. El Radhi AS, Majeed M, Mansor M, Ibrahim M. High incidence of rickets in children with wheezy bronchitis in a developing country. J R Soc Med. 1982;75:884–7.
25. Erfan A, Nafie O, Neyaz AA, Hassanein MA. Vitamin D deficiency in maternity and children’s hospital, Makkah, Saudi Arabia. Ann Saudi Med. 1997;17:371–3.
26. Al-Mustafa Z, Al-Madan M, Al-Majid Al-MuslemS, Al-Ateeq S, Al-Ali AK. Vitamin D deficiency and rickets in the eastern province of Saudi Arabia. Ann Trop Paediatr. 2007;27:63–7.
27. Abdullah MA, Salhi HS, Bakry LA, Okamoto E, Abomelha AM, Stevens B, et al. Adolescent rickets in Saudi Arabia: a rich and sunny country. J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab. 2002;15:1017–25.
28. Al-Jurayyan NA, El-Desouki ME, Al-Herbish AS, Al-Mazyad AS, Al-Qhtani MM. Nutritional rickets and osteomalacia in school children and adolescents. Saudi Med J. 2002;23:182–5.
29. Narchi H, El Jamil M, Kulaylat N. Symptomatic rickets in adolescents. Arch Dis Child. 2001;84:501–3.
30. Majid Molla A, Badawi MH, Al-Yaish S, Sharma P, el-Salam RS, Molla AM. Risk factors for nutritional rickets among children in Kuwait. Pediatr Int. 2000;42:280–4.
31. Rajah J, Jubeh J, Haq A, Shalash A, Parsons H. Nutritional rickets and Z scores for height in the United Arab Emirates: to D or not to D? Pediatr Int. 2008;50:424–8.
32. Lawson DE, Cole TJ, Salem SI, Galal OM, el-Meligy R, AbdelAzim S, et al. Etiology of rickets in Egyptian children. Hum Nutr Clin Nutr. 1987;41:199–208.
33. Salimpour R. Rickets in Tehran. Study of 200 cases. Arch Dis Child. 1975;50:63–6.
34. Mathew PM, Imseeh GW. Convulsions as a possible manifestation of vitamin D deficiency rickets in infants 1–6 months of age. Ann Saudi Med. 1992;12:34–7.
35. Ahmed I, Atiq M, Iqbal J, Khurshid M, Whittaker P. Vitamin D deficiency rickets in breast-fed infants presenting with hypocalcaemic seizures. Acta Paediatr. 1995;84:941–2.
36. Erdeve O, Atasay B, Arsan S, Siklar Z, Ocal G, Berberog˘lu M. Hypocalcemic seizure due to congenital rickets in the first day of life. Turk J Pediatr. 2007;49:301–3.
37. Karatekin G, Kaya A, Salihoglu O, Balci H, Nuhog˘lu A. Association of subclinical vitamin D deficiency in newborns with acute lower respiratory infection and their mothers. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2007 [Epub ahead of print].