Main Article Content
360° TitaniUM Core Strength Exercise©, core training, physical performances, low back pain, amateur table tennis players
This study investigated the effects of the 360° TitaniUM Core Strength Exercise© on the physical performances of amateur table tennis (TT) players within the Malaysian public sector and its potential to reduce the risk of low back pain (LBP). Twenty participants were recruited from various government departments in Negeri Sembilan. They were randomly assigned to either the core exercise group (CE) or the control group (CON). The CE group underwent a six-week intervention featuring the 360° TitaniUM Core Strength Exercise©, while the CON group followed their usual routine. Physical performances were assessed using isometric endurance, flexibility, strength, balance, and stability tests, whereas LBP was measured through the Visual Analog Scale (VAS). The results exhibited significant improvements in CE group's isometric endurance, flexibility, and strength (p < .05), along with notable enhancements in trunk balance and stability. Furthermore, the CE group demonstrated a trend towards reduced LBP risk as indicated by VAS scores (p < .05). These findings suggest that the 360° TitaniUM Core Strength Exercise© holds promise for enhancing physical performances and potentially mitigating LBP among amateur TT players in the Malaysian public sector. Further research could explore long-term effects and its potential applications across diverse populations and sports disciplines.
2. Barczyk-Pawelec K, Bańkosz Z, Derlich M. Body Postures and Asymmetries in Frontal and Transverse Planes in the Trunk Area in Table Tennis Players. Biology of Sport. 2012;29(2):129-34.
3. Folorunso O, Mutiu A, Ademola O. The Playing Posture, Activities and Health of the Table Tennis Player. International Journal of Table Tennis Sciences. 2010;6:99-104.
4. Correa-Mesa JF, Correa-Morales JC. Prevalencia de Lesiones Musculoesqueléticas en Jugadores de Tenis de Mesa. Revista Ciencias Biomédicas. 2014;5(1):48-54.
5. Kondrič M, Matković B, Furjan-Mandić G, et al. Injuries in Racket Sports among Slovenian Players. Collegium Antropologicum. 2011;35(2):413-7.
6. Dellaporta C, Stergioulas A, Baltopoulos P, Papadopoulou T, Maridaki M, editors. Low Back Pain in Table Tennis Players. Proceedings of sixth of annual congress of ECSS, Cologne; 2001.
7. Biz C, Puce L, Slimani M, et al. Epidemiology and Risk Factors of Table-Tennis-Related Injuries: Findings from a Scoping Review of the Literature. Medicina. 2022;58(5):572.
8. Bankosz Z, Barczyk-Pawelec K. Habitual and Ready Positions in Female Table Tennis Players and Their Relation to the Prevalence of Back Pain. PeerJ. 2020;8:e9170.
9. Wong DW-C, Lee WC-C, Lam W-K. Biomechanics of Table Tennis: A Systematic Scoping Review of Playing Levels and Maneuvers. Applied Sciences. 2020;10(15):5203.
10. Xiong J, Li S, Cao A, et al. Effects of Integrative Neuromuscular Training Intervention on Physical Performance in Elite Female Table Tennis Players: A Randomized Controlled Trial. PLOS ONE. 2022;17(1):e0262775.
11. Pluta B, Galas S, Krzykała M, et al. The Motor and Leisure Time Conditioning of Young Table Tennis Players’ Physical Fitness. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2020;17(16):5733.
12. Ma D, Fu Z, Kim D-H. Abdominal Core Training in Table Tennis Players. Revista Brasileira de Medicina do Esporte. 2023;29.
13. Meng Y, Bu Y. Influence Of Abdominal Core Training On Stability Control in Table Tennis Players. Revista Brasileira de Medicina do Esporte. 2023;29.
14. Kibler WB, Press J, Sciascia A. The Role of Core Stability in Athletic Function. Sports Med. 2006;36(3):189-98.
15. McGill SM. Core Training: Evidence Translating to Better Performance and Injury Prevention. Strength and Conditioning Journal. 2010;32:33-46.
16. Suresh K. An Overview Of Randomization Techniques: An Unbiased Assessment of Outcome in Clinical Research. J Hum Reprod Sci. 2011;4(1):8-11.
17. Strong J, Ashton R, Chant D. Pain Intensity Measurement in Chronic Low Back Pain. Clin J Pain. 1991;7(3):209-18.
18. Arab AM, Salavati M, Ebrahimi I, et al. Sensitivity, Specificity and Predictive Value of the Clinical Trunk Muscle Endurance Tests in Low Back Pain. Clin Rehabil. 2007;21(7):640-7.
19. Ha SY, Shin D. The Effects of Curl-Up Exercise in Terms of Posture and Muscle Contraction Direction on Muscle Activity and Thickness of Trunk Muscles. J Back Musculoskelet Rehabil. 2020;33(5):857-63.
20. Butowicz CM, Ebaugh DD, Noehren B, et al. Validation of Two Clinical Measures of Core Stability. Int J Sports Phys Ther. 2016;11(1):15-23.
21. Mayorga-Vega D, Merino-Marban R, Viciana J. Criterion-Related Validity of Sit-and-Reach Tests for Estimating Hamstring and Lumbar Extensibility: a Meta-Analysis. J Sports Sci Med. 2014;13(1):1-14.
22. Hopkins WG, Marshall SW, Batterham AM, et al. Progressive Statistics for Studies in Sports Medicine and Exercise Science. Medicine and science in sports and exercise. 2009;41(1):3-13.
23. Lim BH, Teo EW, Nguyen VB, et al. The 360 TitaniUM Core Strength Exercise® Improve Balance in Teenager. International Journal of Psychosocial Rehabilitation. 2020;24(05).
24. Luo S, Soh KG, Soh KL, et al. Effect of Core Training on Skill Performance Among Athletes: A Systematic Review. Frontiers in physiology. 2022;13.
25. McGill SM. Low Back Stability: From Formal Description to Issues for Performance and Rehabilitation. Exercise and sport sciences reviews. 2001;29(1):26-31.
26. Narouei S, Barati AH, Akuzawa H, et al. Effects of Core Stabilization Exercises on Thickness and Activity of Trunk and Hip Muscles in Subjects With Nonspecific Chronic Low Back Pain. J Bodyw Mov Ther. 2020;24(4):138-46.
27. Gil-Gutiérrez YM, Tsiarleston G, Donoso B, et al. AB1410 Association Between Muscle Mass Percentage With Pain and Disability in Patients With Non-Specific Chronic Low Back Pain: The Backfit Project. Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases. 2023;82(Suppl 1):1934-.
28. Lai LL, Chee CS, Samsudin S, et al. Effect of 360° Titanium Core Strength Exercise© on Pain Intensity and Trunk Extensor Performance Amongst Chronic Non-Specific Low Back Pain in Malaysian Government Sector Workers. Pakistan Heart Journal. 2023;56(1):120-31.
29. Davidson RJ, Kabat-Zinn J. Alterations in Brain and Immune Function Produced by Mindfulness Meditation: Three Caveats: Response. Psychosomatic Medicine. 2004;66(1):149-52