Main Article Content
Preheated composite, Direct composite, fracture resistance, Large MOD cavities, Estilite Sigma Quick
Objective: The present study compared the fracture resistance of teeth with large MOD cavity restored with direct and preheated composite system.
Method: 45 extracted maxillary premolar with similar dimensions were collected. Fifteen intact teeth served as control (Group I) (n= 15 ).Standardized large MOD cavities were prepared on remaining 30 teeth and were randomly divided into two experimental groups (Group II and III ) (n = 15). Teeth in Group II were restored with direct Composite and Group III with preheated composite (500C).Universal Testing Machine was used to measure the fracture resistance. Fracture resistance was measured in Newton (N).
Results: By using multiple comparison: Tukey Test no significant difference was found between group I and group II (p=0.072), group I and group III (p=0.990), group II and group III (p=0.140)
Conclusion: Based on the results of the present study, it can be concluded that maximum fracture resistance is shown by intact teeth followed by preheated composites and then conventional composites.
2. Atalay C, Yazici AR, Horuztepe A, Nagas E, Ertan A, Ozgunaltay G. Fracture Resistance of Endodontically Treated Teeth Restored With Bulk Fill, Bulk Fill Flowable, Fiber-reinforced, and Conventional Resin Composite. Oper Dent. 2016 Sep-Oct;41(5):E131-E140.
3. Hegde V, Sali AV. Fracture resistance of posterior teeth restored with high-viscosity bulk-fill resin composites in comparison to the incremental placement technique. J Conserv Dent 2017 SepOct;20(5):360-364
4. Hada YS, Panwar S. Comparison of the fracture resistance of three different recent composite systems in large Class II mesio-occlusal distal cavities: An in vitro study. J Conserv Dent 2019;22:287-91.
5. Nahedh HA, Sibai NS. Evaluation of Interfacial Gap Volume of Two Low-shrinkage Composites Using Micro-Computed Tomography. Oper Dent. 2017 Nov/Dec; 42(6):658-668.
6. Freedman PD. Clinical benefits of pre-warmed composites. Private Dent. 2003;8(5):111-4.
7. Friedman J. Thermally assisted polymerization of composite resins. Contemp Esthetics Rest Practice 2003;7: 46.
8. Elkaffas AA, Eltoukhy RI, Elnegoly SA, Mahmoud SH. The effect of preheating resin composites on surface hardness: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Restor Dent Endod. 2019 Nov; 44(4):e41
9. Uctasli MB, Arisu HD, Lasilla LV, Valittu PK. Effect of preheating on the mechanical properties of resin composites. Eur J Dent. 2008 Oct; 2(4):263-268.
10. Joynt RB, Wieczkowski G Jr, Klockowski R, Davis EL. Effects of composite restorations on resistance to cuspal fracture in posterior teeth. J Prosthet Dent. 1987 Apr;57(4):431-5
11. Soares CJ, Pizi EC, Fonseca RB, Martins LR. Influence of root embedment material and periodontal ligament simulation on fracture resistance tests. Braz Oral Res. 2005 Jan-Mar;19(1):11-6.
12. Hshad ME, Dalkılıç EE, Ozturk GC, Dogruer I, Koray F. Influence of different restoration techniques on fracture resistance of root-filled teeth: in vitro investigation. Oper dent. 2018 Mar;43(2):162-9
13. Luthria A, Srirekha A, Hegde J, Karale R, Tyagi S, Bhaskaran S. The reinforcement effect of polyethylene fibre and composite impregnated glass fibre on fracture resistance of endodontically treated teeth: An in vitro study. J of Conserv Dent 2012 Oct;15(4):372.
14. Asopa S, Mandava J, Chalasani U, Anwarullah A, Ravi R, Fracture resistance of endodontically treated molars restored with resin composites. IP Indian J Conserv Endod 2017;2(3):89-97.
15. Othman H. Abdulhameed, Zainab M. Abdul-Ameer. Fracture resistance of weakened premolars restored with different preheated bulk fill composites (A comparative in vitro study) J. Bio. Env. Sci. 2018 oct; 13(4): 237-247.
16. Dionysopoulos D, Papadopoulos C, Koliniotou-Koumpia E. Effect of temperature, curing time, and filler composition on surface microhardness of composite resins. J Conserv Dent 2015;18:114-8.
17. Yang JN, Raj JD, Sherlin H. Effects of Preheated Composite on Micro leakage-An in-vitro Study. J Clin Diagn Res. 2016 Jun; 10(6):ZC36-ZC38.