Main Article Content
Ramadan, Fasting, Fatigue, sleep
Ramadan fasting might induce several changes that might affect work performance. Both fatigue as well as sleep are one of the important parameters to be observed for this effect. This study aimed to determine the impact of Ramadan fasting on fatigue as well as sleep of Dentists working in Qassim region of Saudi Arabia. Dentists, working in private as well as Public sector were invited to complete the questionnaire twice, one week before Ramadan and then during the second or third week of Ramadan. Fatigue severity scale (FSS) and the FOSQ 10 to measure the subjective perception of global fatigue and difficulty carrying out daily activities due to sleep problems. The FSS is a self-administered 9-item questionnaire in which each statement is scored between 1 (strongly agree) and 7 (strongly disagree). The FOSQ 10 is also a self-reported questionnaire with ten item questions. Every question can be scored on a 4-point measuring tape (1–4). 121 of them responded and completely filled the questionnaire. The results of the present study showed no significant changes on the overall sleep pattern or fatigue level, though minor changes at subscale were noted.
2. Bhatti SI, Mindikoglu AL. The impact of dawn to sunset fasting on immune system and its clinical significance in COVID-19 pandemic. Metabol Open. 2022 Mar;13:100162. doi: 10.1016/j.metop.2021.100162. Epub 2021 Dec 28. PMID:
3. Bahammam AS, Alaseem AM, Alzakri AA, Sharif MM. The effects of Ramadan fasting on sleep patterns and daytime sleepiness: An objective assessment. J Res Med Sci. 2013 Feb; 18(2):127-31.
4. BaHammam A. Assessment of sleep patterns, daytime sleepiness, and chronotype during Ramadan in fasting and nonfasting individuals. Saudi Med J. 2005; 26:616–22.
5. Bahammam A. Does Ramadan fasting affect sleep? Int J Clin Pract. 2006 Dec;60 (12):1631-7.
6. Valko PO, Bassetti CL, Bloch KE, et al. Validation of the fatigue severity scale in a Swiss cohort. Sleep [Internet]. 2008; 31 (11):1601–7. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/sleep/31.11.1601
7. Yazdi Z, Sadeghniiat-Haghighi K. Fatigue management in the workplace. Ind Psychiatry J [Internet]. 2015;24(1):12. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.4103/0972-6748.160915
8. Hassanein M, Buyukbese MA, Malek R, et al. Real-world safety and effectiveness of insulin glargine 300 U/mL in participants with type 2 diabetes who fast during Ramadan: The observational ORION study. Diabetes Res Clin Pract [Internet]. 2020; 166 (108189):108189. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.diabres.2020.108189
9. Khazneh E, Qaddumi J, Hamdan Z, et al. The effects of Ramadan fasting on clinical and biochemical markers among hemodialysis patients: A prospective cohort study. PLoS One [Internet]. 2019;14(6):e0218745. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0218745
10. Adawi M, Watad A, Brown S, et al. Ramadan fasting exerts immunomodulatory effects: Insights from a systematic review. Front Immunol [Internet]. 2017;8:1144. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.3389/fimmu.2017.01144
11. Nugraha, B.; Ghashang, S.K.; Hamdan, I.; Gutenbrunner, C. Effect of Ramadan fasting on fatigue, mood, sleepiness, and health-related quality of life of healthy young men in summer time in Germany: A prospective controlled study. Appetite 2017, 111, 38–45
12. Ghashang SK, Hamdan I, Lichtinghagen R, et al. Alterations of Brain-Derived Neurotrophic Factor and Creatinine During Ramadan Fasting: A Prospective, Controlled Clinical Trial. Controlled Clinical Trial Iran Red Crescent Med. 2019;21:e88324–8.
13. Al-Barha NS, Aljaloud KS. The effect of Ramadan fasting on body composition and metabolic syndrome in apparently healthy men. Am J Mens Health [Internet]. 2019;13(1):1557988318816925. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/1557988318816925
14. Ovayolu O, Ovayolu N, Tasan E. Does Ramadan Fasting Affect Fatigue in Nurses? Holist. Holist Nurs Pract. 2016;30:222–6.
15. Tariq K, Arooj, Hassan MU, Shahab, Baig M. Perception Of Oral Hygiene Practices And Dental Treatment Permissible During Fasting Amongst Dental Patients: A Cross-Sectional Study In Pakistan. 2020.
16. Mohd F, Said A. Dental Procedures During Fasting: Perceptions Among Muslims In Malaysia. Journal of International Dental and Medical Research. 2019;12:597–601
17. Mathur N, Tyagi S. Ramadan fasting and dental implications: A special review. J Dent Res Rev [Internet]. 2021;8(1):55. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.4103/jdrr.jdrr_86_20
18. Translation and adaptation of the Fatigue Severity Scale for use in Portugal. Carlos António Laranjeira RN. Carlos António Laranjeira RN. 2012;25(3):212–7.
19. Chasens ER, Ratcliffe SJ, Weaver TE. Development of the FOSQ-10: A short version of the functional outcomes of sleep questionnaire. Sleep [Internet]. 2009;32(7):915–9. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/sleep/32.7.915
20. Puerta Y, García M, Heras E, López-Herce J, Fernández SN, Mencía S, et al. Sleep characteristics of the staff working in a pediatric intensive care unit based on a survey. Front Pediatr [Internet]. 2017;5. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.3389/fped.2017.00288.
21. Pasupathy KS, Barker LM. Impact of fatigue on performance in registered nurses: data mining and implications for practice. J Healthc Qual. 2012 Sep-Oct;34(5):22-30.
22. Msaad S, Kotti N. Influence of Ramadan observance on sleep pattern and wakefulness at work among medical trainer in Tunisia. J Sleep Disord Ther [Internet]. 2016;05(02). Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.4172/2167-0277.1000243
23. Nugraha B, Riat A, Ghashang SK,et al. A prospective clinical trial of prolonged fasting in healthy young males and females-effect on fatigue, sleepiness, mood and body composition. Nutrients [Internet]. 2020;12(8):2281. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/nu12082281
24. Mertens A a , Schouteden M a , Godderis L a, INFLUENCE OF RAMADAN ON NEUROPERFORMANCE IN HEALTHY WORKERS, Medical Research Archives 2015 Issue 3
25. BaHammam AS, Almushailhi K, Pandi-Perumal SR, Sharif MM. Intermittent fasting during Ramadan: does it affect sleep? J Sleep Res [Internet]. 2014;23(1):35–43. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/jsr.12076
26. Msaad S, Kotti N. Influence of Ramadan observance on sleep pattern and wakefulness at work among medical trainer in Tunisia. J Sleep Disord Ther [Internet]. 2016;05(02). Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.4172/2167-0277.1000243
27. Singh R, Hwa OC, Roy J, et al. Subjective perception of sports performance, training, sleep and dietary patterns of Malaysian Junior Muslim athletes during Ramadan intermittent fasting. Asian J Sports Med [Internet]. 2011;2 (3):167–76. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.5812/asjsm.
28. Laraqui S, Manar N, Laraqui O, et al. Influence of Ramadan observance on wakefulness at work among health care workers in Morocco. Arch Mal Prof Env. 2012;73:743–9.